Going to Italy II.

Guest k.tx

Who wants to join?

I have my ticket for May 22-2004 taking of in DFW to Milan Malpensa, returning June 04- 2004.

Bike is booked from vacanze in moto & noleggio - motorcycle holidays & rentals (http://www.mototouring.com/). No Moto Guzzi available but Aprilia CapoNord with suitcases and tank bag included. 12-day rental for about 800 Euro, insurance includes all countries in Europe. International drivers license is a plus, don't know the current law :-(

Trip is not planned in detail but following items are a must for me:

Visit Mandello, go cross the Alps from Mandello to Salzburg without riding on major auto strada (backroads only). Stay in Kirchdorf (small town north of Salzburg) for a few days, head over to Germany (via Bavarian Forest - towards Chiemsee / Munich),........

Drop e-mail in case you are interested to join.

Dang, I wish I could join you- it sounds great.

AAA can set you up with an international drivers license. Ten bucks or thereabouts. No test.

If you go to Mandello, remember the factory museum is only open one hour a day.

I (still) recommend staying in 'agritourismos'. Damn good food that's homegrown.

Milan is a pit (sorry to any Milanese here). Get North, and fast!

Cheers,

Jason

Jason,

Thanks for the hint. I'm born and grown up over there, in southern Germany. My intend is, as you said, go to Mandello and than north. My rough plan is heading up towards South Tyrol / Austria and go east towards Salzburg, all country roads and about 40 passes medium to rough. End of May is still off season and therefore I may have to change my rout because of locked down roads. But whatsoever, I know a few places to stay, want to visit some buddies and especially in Austria and Southern Germany I still have my "homes" :-).

Just thought in case somebody wants to join, a group of three at the most would robably be more fun.

Later,

Konrad

• 7 months later...

It may be of interest to you to know that Agostini in Mandello del Lario are now renting Moto Guzzis. They have Californias and Brevas at the moment. They tell me that they may add a Le Mans in the future.

From personal experience I can tell you it is hard to beat riding up to the Moto Guzzi factory on a Guzzi. The roads around Lake Como are spectacular and the sound of the V twin echoing back from the mountains really is fantastic.

You can check out the current details on guzzirent.it

Ciao a tutti

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Marcel

Well, next week I'll try to drop by the factory. Not on the Guzzi though, but in a cabriolet (next best thing?) with wife & dog.

Maybe, just maybe I can rent a bike for a day at Agostini's while the wife does sunbathing .....

• 3 weeks later...