Why low mileage?

V11crazed

look... my mother is 60 now. She always wanted a bike but could not afford any (brother was small, I was small and so on). Two years back she bought yamaha 650 chopper, she has driven 1500km so far in two years. To her, the bike is a relaxation. She is happy just to own it and clean it after every 30km run...

But do you think that anybody will believe me in 5 yrs if the yamaha will be going out for sale with original tires and 6000km on odometer? I guess not :D

Hey nice story....Let me tell you the other,.....my grandfather :oldgit: many years ago, bought a guzzi and he came home from the dealership with 30km on the clock. Next day he lost the keys, and because he believes strongly that God gives ....God takes,

he never got another set of keys.

He just washes ...the bike now and then and admire it!!!! :notworthy:

That explains the low mileage for his Guzzi.

Dont you believe me???? :grin:

Hey nice story....Let me tell you the other,.....my grandfather :oldgit: many years ago, bought a guzzi and he came home from the dealership with 30km on the clock. Next day he lost the keys, and because he believes strongly that God gives ....God takes,

he never got another set of keys.

He just washes ...the bike now and then and admire it!!!! :notworthy:

That explains the low mileage for his Guzzi.

Dont you believe me???? :grin:

it sooooo weird it has to be true :P

Ha!

Bikes are like excercize equipment.

People go out and buy 'em picturing themselves svelt and ready

for a new love affair or getting in a movie or on MTV or something.

Two weeks after reality sets in said equipment is in the basement

covered in dust as the owner is off persuing the next easy short cut to

actually having a life.

Real riding takes serious effort and some degree of a support / reward system

until your truly addicted to it. The average person just getting into riding is going

to feel pretty lonely all by him /herself out on the road for 100s of miles all alone.

They're going to be out there thinking "where's the pretty girls? Where's the group

of envious onlookers affirming my self worth like in the commercials?"

That's the gap HD fills. You can just go down to the watering hole and pose like someones

doing a magazine article then ride 12mi back home totally content with your $12K investment

and plenty of time left to mow the lawn, shine your chrome and wax your bean.

To the dedicated rider it's all about rolling. Your heart is down there right where the rubber

and the pavement are making the hot love of adhesion. Your mind is astral projecting around

the next corner as your whole being is embracing the unfolding incredible beauty of the landscape. When they start selling that in the commercials instead of MCs as a short cut to

the Hollywood lifestyle more bikes will have more miles on them. :D

Many people buy bikes to be seen on it. Not to ride it.

Good...I hate paying retail... :mg::D

Not to bad Ratch. VT. is a pretty short hop and excellent roads all the way there if you go the way of the fox.

But I have to make it to the Maritimes to match West Coast riding. Western NY, Western PA is pretty gogeous

and the BRP and Shannandoah Valley mmm. I really love the mountain farm land panoramas..rivers running through them.

I often break out into a chorus of America The Beautiful. Throw in a freshly mowed field of green hay and I'm in ecstasy

:mg:

Guest ratchethack
I often break out into a chorus of America The Beautiful. Throw in a freshly mowed field of green hay and I'm in ecstasy

:mg:

I'm wit'choo, Weej. :sun: Some day, somehow, I'll ride the BRP. Would love to see the Berkshires again, too. Here we have literally thousands of square miles of back country from sea to mountains to desert -- come to think of it, between you and me, "From sea to shining sea!" graced by "Purple mountain majesty!" and "Amber waves of grain!" -- all seemingly endless exploration opportunities, the likes o' wot puts the common practice of abusing a Guzzi (or any other motorcycle) with all manner of posing behavior and narcissism to shame. <_<

Gotta be careful here -- you know we're under Probation. Can't be suggesting anything like -- shudder -- patriotism here, Weej. :o Why, that's nearly as evil as (gasp) Nationalism! :o No, no -- can't have that. It just ain't PC, you know. There are those hereabouts who're no doubt offended by such expressions. Seems that somehow it's jingoism, imperialism, and above all -- the very words, "America The Beautiful" could be perceived as inflammatory, and well, it's just not fair to ugly countries! <_<:wacko:

post-1212-1206368775.jpg

post-1212-1206376812.jpg

Gotta be careful here -- you know we're under Probation. Can't be suggesting anything like -- shudder -- patriotism here, Weej. :o Why, that's nearly as evil as (gasp) Nationalism! :o No, no -- can't have that. It just ain't PC, you know. There are those hereabouts who're no doubt offended by such expressions. Seems that somehow it's jingoism, imperialism, and above all -- the very words, "America The Beautiful" could be perceived as inflammatory, and well, it's just not fair to ugly countries! <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_wacko.png" alt=":wacko:">

How this blather has anything to do with my original forum topic is just beyond me. As I see it, yet another fine thread is diminished and dragged into the muck.

How weary, tiring and boring... :vomit:

I think it more comes down to owner type than machine to be honest v11crazed, whilst my 02 Scura has what I consider very low mileage, I ride year round, but use several bikes. The Firestorm (VTR1000F) that the Scura replaced was 10yrs old when I got it and had only done 16.400 in that time. The owner just didn't enjoy riding it. The Scura had only done 4300 in 6yrs, and as I was looking through the service book tonight I saw it had only done 300miles in 18months at one point!!! Contrast that to me putting 1800 more on it since end of jan...

Horses for courses but I have no doubts that the Scura is a keeper, and it rewards my tinkering whereas the Honda didn't really stir anything in me.

V11 2001, bought three yrs ago with 7700 kms, now stands at 11500 kms. I surprised miself, thought I was going to pile up the miles.

guess my reasons are the same as many grown up bike owners:

reason1: too many hobbies: wife, two cars, two bikes, frantic work, old farm in the woods, fierce cat, tuscan red wine, music...

Reason2: the Guzzi was so hideously bad to drive when I bought it (uninspected) that I really didnt trust it. Spent a lot of time trying to sort it out. Its getting there though.

Reason3: winter from october to may.... as we speak its -3C and blue ice in the streets, at my farm its 175cms of snow and -10C... this is Scandinavia, look it up....

so hey: dont give me the "not dedicated"-treatment guys. I am as big a petrolhead as anyone, but I'm also into almost anything else. Couldnt afford a bike before I turned 35, focussed on cars instead.

Bike still gives me a big high and it will be driven. And the joy of ownership alone...:-)

V11 2001, bought three yrs ago with 7700 kms, now stands at 11500 kms. I surprised miself, thought I was going to pile up the miles.

guess my reasons are the same as many grown up bike owners:

reason1: too many hobbies: wife, two cars, two bikes, frantic work, old farm in the woods, fierce cat, tuscan red wine, music...

Reason2: the Guzzi was so hideously bad to drive when I bought it (uninspected) that I really didnt trust it. Spent a lot of time trying to sort it out. Its getting there though.

Reason3: winter from october to may.... as we speak its -3C and blue ice in the streets, at my farm its 175cms of snow and -10C... this is Scandinavia, look it up....

so hey: dont give me the "not dedicated"-treatment guys. I am as big a petrolhead as anyone, but I'm also into almost anything else. Couldnt afford a bike before I turned 35, focussed on cars instead.

Bike still gives me a big high and it will be driven. And the joy of ownership alone...:-)

I really like reason 2....can't go wrong when red wine and music get in the way.... :wub:

I fight it too...I'm an avid mt. biker and when the warm, Tucson weekend rolls around, it's often very difficult to choose which 2 wheels will be blessed for the day...ride on my friend!

Gotta be careful here -- you know we're under Probation.

Héy, haven't you ever heard about Italian patriotism or nationalism?

Or the nationalism of the Dutch???

Never been at speed skating game? With all this orchestra from Friesland?

oranje_legioen.jpg

Edited by antonio carroccio

Yes - dpn't forget Mountain Biking.......although, mountains are far and few since moving to Florida.

B)

Bob

SWEET RIDE!!!!!!

Never saw a Klein that color...very nice! Can't imagine the mt. biking is that great in Florida....maybe some fun bike paths and eye candy though.... B)

SWEET RIDE!!!!!!

Never saw a Klein that color...very nice! Can't imagine the mt. biking is that great in Florida....maybe some fun bike paths and eye candy though....

Mtn Biking is no fun in Florida. I recently switched out to slicks when "fat" guys started passing me on their 3 speeds! :D I can't stand to part with it...it's a guzzi of bicycles!

Bob