Shift lever stuck down

Danno

The shift lever on my '04 cafe sport sometimes gets stuck in the down position when downshifting to a stop. I just lever it back up with my foot to get it unstuck.

I saw a post that addressed this: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11460

Someone had what looks like the answer, "Turned out to be a complete lack of lube on on the bolt that runs through the shift lever. Ordering a new tub of grease seemed to be forgotten on the ass.line. Pulled the bolt, quick clean and some grease solved the problem. I later added a zerk to allow for non-disassembly lubing. "

Being someone who knows enough to cause damage but also not wanting to take the bike to the dealer can someone explain this procedure in more detail? Is this something I can do without cracking the gearbox open?

Thanks.

Guest frankdugo

i would say that it is not a very hard procedure.the shift lever rides on the bolt directly under it.that bolt has a"nylock nut on the other end.acessible with a long extension.clean&grease -you are back in buisness. look around mgnoc and you will find all the tech downloadble -thanks togreg bender&carl allison

You should exchange the pair of factory provided El Cheapo rose joints for a pair of quality ones.

Makes gear shifting easier.

I second that - I had the same problem on mine - sprayed the rose joints with WD40 and all was right and well with the world again.

Is this something I can do without cracking the gearbox open?

Thanks.

No major surgery required. The most difficult thing is getting to through to that nut (or bolt head – I can't remember which end is where).

When you're doing this, lube everything but also loctite the nuts as the little gear change nut invariably works loose and falls off and you could be left with a bit of a problem out on the road. Checking and setting the adjustable rod can help things a lot too.