Time for a watch review ?

frogonwheels

Hi guys,

For the ones who bought Jens's Moto Guzzi Junkers watch, what happened to it ? Do you wear it on regular basis ? when you ride your bike ?

Have you had any troubles ?

In my case, I bought two, one for me and one for a friend. For whatever reason, I kept the second one so it is still brand new in the box !!!

I have over 80 watches, so the Guzzi watch doesn't see many adventures. Yet, I love it. it is actually fairly big, but yet very elegant. It works just great and seems to be accurate within 10 seconds fast per day. This Junkers watch feel great and seems really well made. I trully enjoy owning it, but it hasn't seen much of a challenge yet.

What about yours ?

It's become my favorite sport touring watch :)

I wore it last summer while on tour and found that the big black dial with white numbers made it easy to read while on the move.

Plus, it keeps good time :thumbsup:

Thanks Jens :bier:

I love mine and am wearing it right this second, it feels great and I can't wear cheap watches because they tend to dissolve on my acidic skin and this watch is great, wish I had bought two but don't really have the money but I will have it long after my guzzi has gone, or so I hope.

My watch is outstanding, but I haven't really gotten around to using it to "tell time" yet. Is anyone using it for that?

In fact, I'm a bit "concerned" that its performance might not be optimal, so I've decided to defer using it to tell time - until I get it sorted.

Has anyone figured out how wear and tear on the leather band/crystal/little itty bitty parts inside could be minimized by application of: special lubricants, alloys, cushions, electrical fluxes, or accelerating forces sufficient to stop time? Likewise, does anyone think I could improve performance sufficiently to humiliate guys with lesser watches?

Perhaps I just need to incubate it where the sun don't shine?

Has anyone figured out how wear and tear on the leather band/crystal/little itty bitty parts inside could be minimized by application of: special lubricants, alloys, cushions, electrical fluxes, or accelerating forces sufficient to stop time? Likewise, does anyone think I could improve performance sufficiently to humiliate guys with lesser watches?

Many have switched to the narrower band for quicker deployment ;)

I'm wearing mine at the moment. I love it. It does run fast though, gains about 30 seconds a day. I know it can be adjusted but I've just been living with it. Great watch.

Hi guys,

For the ones who bought Jens's Moto Guzzi Junkers watch, what happened to it ? Do you wear it on regular basis ? when you ride your bike ?

Have you had any troubles ?

... Yet, I love it. it is actually fairly big, but yet very elegant. It works just great and seems to be accurate within 10 seconds fast per day. This Junkers watch feel great and seems really well made. I trully enjoy owning it, but it hasn't seen much of a challenge yet.

What about yours ?

I love mine, too, altho' I wished I'd known that I could ask for a particular serial# when I ordered: I got "luck of the draw," but would have asked for one of several particular #s if I'd known that was an option. #58 (or whatever it is) doesn't really have any significance for me, other than being attached to a really nice watch...

The odd synchronicity about the whole "men's jewelry" thing with Jens' watch group buy is that I'd been asking a friend of my uncle's who makes his living repairing old clocks (1) about how much it would cost to get an old self-winding mechanical watch of decent quality [pedigree immaterial] not 3 months before Jens brought up the topic of the group buy last year. Anyway, to make my point, the price for the new Junker through the group buy was only about $100 more than a used watch of lesser pedigree through this other guy! No special crystal, see through case, etc. either. So it made the decision to participate in the group buy a bit of a no-brainer for me, at least!

I was wearing the watch daily for awhile, initially to get the band broken in to where it would be comfortable in the future, but also because I just really like [love!] the look & feel of the thing: I'm built more on the American "large economy size" scale of things, so the watch looks just right on my wrist, and like I said, I'd been looking for a traditional self-winder for years.(2) But just recently I decided that I was going to switch back to my old Timex digital [3] for daily wear because I kept "clacking" the watch against stuff [4] and wanted to keep the Guzzi watch nice.

I too noticed that my Guzzi watch ran a little fast, but it amounted to about 3 minutes a month, if that, which is within reason as far as I'm concerned. Good enough to navigate by on short trips if required to do so! ;) My biggest surprise was in how quickly it wound down when I took it off, but then, I hadn't worn a mechanical watch since I was a kid, so that's almost all completely due to unfamiliarity: back then, time went slower anyway, so it's probably linked to how much time has sped up since then, and of course the watch is going to wind down faster if time is zipping along faster than it used to do! :lol:

Anyway, other than wishing I'd thought to ask for #77[5], #88 or #69 (which I'm certain went early in the "asked for" numbers! ;) ) which is more related to my own oversight than anything else, I'm pretty well chuffed with my Guzzi watch. Wish the logo was a tad larger maybe, so that it was visible to someone more than 6 inches away, but hey, I'm not about "branding" anyway, so it's "tastefully discreet," right?

Thanks, Jens!

:thumbsup:

(1) - He did my uncle's grandfather clock (which actually did belong to my grandfather before my uncle inherited it) and I met him upon trying to get my gf's much more recent but still 20y.o. grandfather clock repaired...

(2) - Mostly because electrical things seem to hold a mild dislike of me, & fail at random intervals out of spite. ;)

[3] - About 1991 vintage: stainless case, buttons barely still functional, on it's 4th or 5th replacement band. Wish Timex still made this model, it's really the only digital watch I've ever much liked. The previous generation Timex digi watch I replaced with this one was pretty much the same, but had a temp sensor built into it that failed when I went to England & the watch froze on the nightstand while I was asleep one night. Everything else still worked, but the temp sensor never was right after that, so I figured when I got the new Timex that I'd eliminate the weak link, & keep all the other features I liked...

[4] - Which is why my Timex is beat all to heck after all these years! :thumbsup:

[5] - A significant year in my life; soooo much happened!

Great watch !! :thumbsup:

I wear it all the time, I like the large face and No's ( I can read it without my glasses on )

all 'round high quality ....just cool 'cause I have one and it says "MOTO GUZZI" on it

:bier:

Cheers

Van

Guest drknow

Love it, best guzzi accessory I've ever purchased. I'll line up for the next one if Jens ever decides to do another...

Guzzi Junkers #68

dk