Is this Really Needed

JoeGuzzi

FWIW the former owner of my '02 (with Ti ECU/exhaust) mostly eliminated the 4k rpm torque dip by adding a PCIII and getting a custom map done. I have his before & after dyno charts that show this. It's possible that the 03-04 V11's didn't have the dip because of a better map from the factory along with the new crossover.

That style of cross-over is more for noise reasons then power. Not saying it won't alter the power curve, and it could even help a little in some places. But it will cost you more power then it will give(taking more from the top end or where-ever else then giving you to fill in the dip). There are ways of tuning the exhaust to improve power output, running a balance pipe from one header to the other 6-8 inches down the head pipe is not one of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well replaced the head pipes today. Removed the ones with the small crossover and installed the new headpipes. I have only run it for a few minutes to check for leaks. Sounded much better without the rattle and exhaust leaks. Looks pretty good as well.

Amazed at how quick and simple the job was. On the lift, four Castle Nuts off, two clamps loosened and moved back an inch. New exhaust gaskets and back together in minutes. The whole job from onto the lift table to back off the table and running in less than 15 minutes. Gotta Love a Guzzi!!!!!

Can't ride yet will have to wait another three of four weeks untill the Doc's will let me ride, I'll let you know how it does.

Joe in Atlanta

1972 Eldorado

2004 Ballabio

2003 Buell Blast hers

• 1 month later...

Well after 1000 miles of daily commute, mountian roads, high speed slab I cannot tell any difference in performance with the new head pipes minus front crossover. Bike runs great and no leaks or rattles.

Joe in Atlanta

1972 Eldorado

2004 Ballabio

2003 Buell Blast hers

There are some talented engineers out there. But to assume that because an engineer designed something a certain way it is how it should be is wrong. There are so many things that were designed by engineers that were total failures that we have a series of tv shows about them. Engineers are human and humans make mistakes. So even if the engineers goals are the same as yours, that does not mean that it is right.

There are so many shortcomings in the Guzzi. But that is one of it's charms. You can actually improve the bike to be better then it was designed to be. Try doing that with your average Japanese sportbike.

I agree here. There are some serious talent in engineering. There are also a nerve wrenching amount of crackpot engineers in the business I'm associated. There are MANY engineers who are extremely talented at study, theory, and all things that make a student a grade A student. Alot of these however are pitiful at practical hands on design, something that is needed for a true engineer.

With the crossover in question, this is a practice that has been used for decades of course. Norton's Commando series adopted a crossover when they jumped from 750cc to 850cc engine size. In fact hp figures summarily dropped at that point in factory specs and in seat of the pants. These were also a major PITA for leaks and header cracks. As for power gain, I can't remember the last time I saw a race bike with the crossover still attached.

If I had a post 2002 spine frame bike, the crossover would be very very GONE. Like my 850 Commando, I find them universally not easy on the eyes, in fact they are quite friggin' ugly.

Steve