Greetings, and 'Is a Guzzi V11 the right bike for me?'

jhh

Hi Guzzi folks! After about five years stuck in a car, I've recently decided to go back to riding - I've been on dirtbikes since I was a kid, and rode rain or shine daily when I lived in the SF Bay Area a few years ago. I'm an experienced rider, just a bit out of practice. I've browsed around your forums for a while, but I still have some questions.

I've always loved Guzzis (and Aprilia, Triumph, and Ducati to a degree), so I've decided to get one. I think, at least. Triumph is out because they're British and therefore likely to burst into flames too heavy, current Aprilia models are not to my liking really, Ducati is, well, too Ducati.

This means I've pretty much determined that it's definitely going to be Guzzi at this point. In particular, it's down to either a V11, 1100i Sport (riding style seems too cramped to me) or a Nevada, but I think I best like the way the V11 looks out of the lot of them. Regardless of which Guzzi model I wind up with, they all have the giant V-twin and overall good community. It's a win-win situation for me, no matter which one I get.

I'm not terribly interested in getting an incredibly fast bike, but something more for along the lines of occasional weekend road trips and daily puttering from home to the office. When I mean weekend trips, I really mean it too: not some short 100 mile thing, but something more like 500 miles. Is the V11 a comfortable choice for this? Is it something that (when properly maintained) is going to break constantly? Am I going to go broke paying my chiropractor if I go for long rides? Would the Nevada be a better choice (I prefer the V11's appearance)? Suggestions, anyone?

Guest frankdugo

some things to consider ,your size-the original issues 99 -01 were fitted with clamp on handelbars.later sports&lemans with conventional bars. many owners of early bikes converted to bars. a 500 mi. day is very easily done on one. some people have had seat issues-im comfortable on mine.a v11 is more powerful than the nevada-and you can never have enough.the bikes good&so are the riders,welcome.

Hey jhh, Welcome to the sight. I honestly believe you should sit on both if you really question the comfort of the two really different styles, you'll know then for sure. I've done a 450 mile day on my LeMans, and loved it. It's less cramped than it looks. Can't tell from your post if you prefer the look of the Sport/ LeMans or the Nevada, but the look is more important than your worries about required tinkering, they BOTH will! :lol: Happy Huntin', S.H.

Hey jhh, Welcome to the sight. I honestly believe you should sit on both if you really question the comfort of the two really different styles, you'll know then for sure. I've done a 450 mile day on my LeMans, and loved it. It's less cramped than it looks. Can't tell from your post if you prefer the look of the Sport/ LeMans or the Nevada, but the look is more important than your worries about required tinkering, they BOTH will! :lol: Happy Huntin', S.H.

I prefer the look of the sporty ones (1100 Sport, V11, the Breva/Griso are okay too). If I were to have people here tell me the V11 is a poor choice for what I want, then the Nevada would be my backup plan. I know I can fit on one and it's pretty comfortable.

The sitting on part is going to give me a little trouble as well. I've sat on a Nevada and ridden a California, and I did okay on both of them - but the V11 will be something I'm going to sit on right about the time I purchase it: there are none here (New Orleans, LA, US) for sale, so I'd be flying out to get one - which one is still under debate. Think I'd have any trouble riding one? I'm about 5'9"ish, 165 pounds, and wear jeans with a 30" inseam. I'm sure I'll fit on it, but on the 500 to 1,000 mile ride home it may get very uncomfortable after a while.

Tinkering: I'm more or less mechanically inclined, and I've owned my share of quirky vehicles - my daily driver right now is a 14 year old 911, which is pretty quirky.

hi JHH and welcome to the asylum..

I'm 5'9...200lbs ..29" inseam and my LeMans fits me like a glove.

No matter what you get a 1000mi first trip is going to twist

you like a pretzel but after the V11 breaks YOU in you'll be fine. :)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

hi JHH and welcome to the asylum..

I'm 5'9...200lbs ..29" inseam and my LeMans fits me like a glove.

No matter what you get a 1000mi first trip is going to twist

you like a pretzel but after the V11 breaks YOU in you'll be fine. :)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Welcome jhh,

I agree with Ouiji Veck.

And if you are comfortable with owning a 14 year old Porche, and your first choice is a 1100 Sport or a V11 Sport (or their variants) I would say buy one. They will do as many miles as you want once some minor sorting is done.

If you have come this far, your mind is probably 99% made up anyway!

Good luck and have fun,

Steve

(FuelCooler)

:mg:

you don't want a Triumph cos it's British & heavy...so you're going for a Guzzi which is Italian & ...er... :wacko: ?

Try before you buy if you can (& as long a ride as you can get, preferably on open road rather than town), Guzzis an aquired taste, but once aquired, a lifelong one.

V11/1100Sport is a bigger, heavier, faster bike than Nevada...

Welcome & good luck!

KB :sun:

you don't want a Triumph cos it's British & heavy...so you're going for a Guzzi which is Italian & ...er... :wacko: ?

Try before you buy if you can (& as long a ride as you can get, preferably on open road rather than town), Guzzis an aquired taste, but once aquired, a lifelong one.

Actually I was more concerned with it just being British - I've owned two Rovers before. Both met the same fate: catching on fire in my parking garage. There's also the small matter of the British having not quite figured out the concept of the 'gasket'. Lets the water in, and the oil out... Yes, I know, the Guzzi is Italian and has the same issues with oil leaks. "It's not leaking, it's marking it's territory."

Really the biggest issue I was having with the Triumphs (just the Tiger actually) was seat height and bike width, combined with an incredibly top heavy feeling. The newer Tiger isn't as bad as the older ones, but it's still somewhat annoying. Not to the point where I couldn't ride it, but it would just be uncomfortable at lower speeds. The Thruxton/Bonneville/etc were fine with me - I'd just really rather not be set on fire by exploding British machinery though. :)

At the moment, it looks like I've picked out a nice V11, and will be driving up this weekend to get it.

Update: I'm now the proud owner of a 2004 V11 Ballabio, and I couldn't be happier. I picked it up in Nashville on Saturday, and just made it back after a 550 mile drive down Natchez Trace.

My wrists, on the other hand (no pun intended), really hate me right now. I find myself putting an awful lot of pressure on my wrists, and they eventually just sort of go numb. Not "comfortably numb" in the sense that I can't feel them, but more along the lines of "dentist forgot to give me novocaine before he ripped my teeth out with a pair of rusted pliers" sort of numb. Would dropping the pegs help? My knees and legs aren't cramped at all as I'm fairly short, but I was wondering if it might make me sit more upright, thereby putting less pressure on my hands/wrists.

Also, the rear tire self destructed, but I have a separate thread in the technical forum asking for recommendations (I really, really hate Metzeler now).

Jf you were able to turn the key off when you got off at the end of the ride you're o.k.

I'm sure the Ballabio has bars instead of clip-ons. I own a 87 lemans se. After I get off an hour long ride, it is all I can do turn the ign.switch to the off position.

You are going to have to get used to the pain or excercise your arms and wrists.......

Update: I'm now the proud owner of a 2004 V11 Ballabio, and I couldn't be happier. I picked it up in Nashville on Saturday, and just made it back after a 550 mile drive down Natchez Trace.

My wrists, on the other hand (no pun intended), really hate me right now. I find myself putting an awful lot of pressure on my wrists, and they eventually just sort of go numb. Not "comfortably numb" in the sense that I can't feel them, but more along the lines of "dentist forgot to give me novocaine before he ripped my teeth out with a pair of rusted pliers" sort of numb. Would dropping the pegs help? My knees and legs aren't cramped at all as I'm fairly short, but I was wondering if it might make me sit more upright, thereby putting less pressure on my hands/wrists.

Also, the rear tire self destructed, but I have a separate thread in the technical forum asking for recommendations (I really, really hate Metzeler now).

Don't be a hater! The stock tire has been sitting for how long, under what conditions? Too many variables; Metz Z6 roadtecs are excellent tires, far far FAR superior to the MEZ4s that they replaced in Metz' lineup!

As far as the wrist pain goes, do sit ups! Yes, I said sit ups! :D The v11 favors/requires a more firm posture to sit it comfortably, just like you would "sit" a horse vs. being a sack of (saddle-sore filled) potatoes as most non-horsey sorts (this includes me, fwiw) who just slump there on horseback. Most people have plenty strong back muscles, but where their body lets them down is in their abs: the back muscles need something to work against, & that's what you have abs for! :nerd: Trust me, I'm not a physician, but have had lots of chiropracters, sports therapists, orthopedic surgeons, etc. repeatedly tell me the same thing over & over enough that I've started to believe them... ;) Anyway, imagine your granny (or mine, if yours didn't whack you all the time & say "Sit up straight!" when you were growing up like mine did) is standing over you when you're riding, & maintain good posture. It'll take the load off your wrists, & enable you to do more "steering w/ your knees" the way Guzzis seem to like...

You might consider this footpeg and control relocation kit

www.motratech.com

Putting the feet forward helps keep the weight off the hands.

Also, try relaxing your grip a bit (not so much you'll fall off the bike!!!)

Since you are getting back into riding, it is a good time to learn good habits. A riding school is a good idea. Others here can give good advice, like Skeeve's quasi-medical advice ;) Your posture will certainly effect wrist fatigue.

You might also need to balance the throttle bodies regularly to help minimize vibration.

You'll get used to it. But start with some 100 mile rides before you do a 500 mile ride.

Are throttlemeisters available for those bars?

You'll get used to it. But start with some 100 mile rides before you do a 500 mile ride.

Are throttlemeisters available for those bars?

Actually, I just got done with a 600+ mile ride (Natchez Trace + assorted side trips) picking it up. :)

It's really far more comfortable than some of the bikes I've owned before, I think it's more that I haven't quite yet figured out how best to sit on it and not make my butt and wrists hurt - I was leaning forward quite a bit though, so I'll start working on getting my abs in shape. Doing some pushups wouldn't hurt either.

There is a throttlemeister available for it, and it's on my list of mods I intend to make. It's kind of quiet for my tastes, so some new mufflers would be nice, and those Buell turn signals, the seat rebuild, new tires, and maybe changing the license plate bracket/rear fender appearance, and maybe some bar end mirrors, and ... I'll never get through customizing this, will I?

Hey JHH...

Not to worry. 550 first ride is wayyyy over the top.

You'll mold your bones into after a while.

I think you said you've been away from riding a while.?

I bet there's 2 things at work.

1 Your holding on too tight. (Squeezing the grips more than nesc.)

2. You've got too much weight on the bars.

Try loosening your grip if you can and don't lock your elbows.

On long trips I also move my butt around...swap cheeks. It not only spares your

butt but gives your shoulders, back and arms a break from holding a constant position.

The real trick is to do it before you start to ache somewhere.

Congrats on the BillyBob...your gonna have a fun summer.