Seized Engine

PEPPERONI BROS.

Well the wording was 'hitting the rev limiter a few times' and if that is directly fatal to the bike I would consider it as a construction flaw. Sure, he may have ruined the bike by riding like an a-hole. He may be robbing senior citizens too, I have no idea. I just thought most posters took that a bit too much as granted, and that after already attacking the friend for wanting it fixed for free, which was not implied.

No big deal, I'm not attacking anyone. Just my :2c:

Well he says it is haunting him so I'd conclude the new owner is looking to recoup something. Unless he gave a warranty with the bike this trouble is on the owner. It is always prudent to sell a vehicle with a bill of sale that reads "as-is with no warranty"; friend or not, it leaves no room for doubt. I agree hitting the rev limiter is not the issue, it is there to save the motor. Seems likely though, that a teenager that admits hitting the rev limiter multiple times was probably doing worse than that. They don't just seize for no reason.

Well the wording was 'hitting the rev limiter a few times' and if that is directly fatal to the bike I would consider it as a construction flaw. Sure, he may have ruined the bike by riding like an a-hole. He may be robbing senior citizens too, I have no idea. I just thought most posters took that a bit too much as granted, and that after already attacking the friend for wanting it fixed for free, which was not implied.

No big deal, I'm not attacking anyone. Just my :2c:

The implication of "I sold this to a friend a couple weeks ago & it's now back on my doorstep" is exactly that the friend is expecting a free or cheap fix, forgive me for contradicting you. I am as happy as everyone else here to learn that that was not the case, but it is the implication, unintentional or not. And nobody attacked the friend, we were just warning the Pepperoni not to get sucked into going down that road.

As far as admitting to "hitting the rev limiter a few times," this is the kid equivalent of "copping a plea," & instantly recognized as such by the majority of the adults who've replied [& probably of those who've read & didn't bother to reply] to this thread. In other words, the kid's guilty, knows he's guilty, suspects there may be sufficient evidence to convict, & is trying to weasel out of it by admitting to a lesser charge.

You're correct in that "hitting the rev limiter" should not be fatal to the engine: if it were, then the rev limiter isn't doing its job & needs to be set lower!

Is that the ol' "I shot the Sheriff(in self defense), but I did not shoot the deputy" plea?

They'll still hang him high!

I wonder if the young man hit redline downshifting? :huh:

The electronic protection is not going to help much in that case!

Are the rod bearings made of copper or something copperishy like?

Guzzi use tri-metal bearings which are theoretically superior to the bi-metal ones used in most engines. Since their purpose is to remain separated from the journal on which they run I've never really found out why this is so and its not one of those things I as a mere mechanic feel it is vital to know so I just have another beer instead and dont think about it too hard :D .

To answer the question Dave they look 'Coppery' after they've got cooked and oil has burnt onto them. It's essentially the same sort of discolouration you'll see on the underside of piston crowns after they have been in service a long time.

Pete

I've only hit the rev limiter once on the guzzi when I went for a ride on her last fall after I had been ridding the Aprilia for about a month and it scared the crap out of me. I shift the aprilia around 8-9 grand 10 if I'm really on it and the V11 will only let you go like 8.5 I have to say I've done my fair share of small power wheelies but I have a feeling our young friend here did a stand up one down the street as I have no idea how he'd do it on the free way and with how much effort can be required for stunting a guzzi you might want to get a new clutch plate and hand it to your friend, he'll be needin it.

Make sure you get your friend to pay for parts upfront. You don't want to be stuck with the bill if he suddenly decides to not pay you.

Some people are quite capable of re-defining the term friend when there are several K involved.

Make sure you get your friend to pay for parts upfront. You don't want to be stuck with the bill if he suddenly decides to not pay you.

Some people are quite capable of re-defining the term friend when there are several K involved.

He may luck out, the crank journals are pretty tough, he may be able to take down the smeared bearing material on em and fit new shells and luck out.... Unless he continued to ride the piss out of it, then it could be pretty pricey. There is a guy on ebay selling an 04 spiney crank and other bits.... buyer beware...

I have an excellent idea.... You,daddy and sonny boy take daddy's car out for a spin and duplicate the joy ride to see who is responsible for what? Keep the trans. in low range for the best results .....I would not help him ANY with parts and or labor. Your friendship is over either way.

Also the plain shell bearings use babbet (solder yes solder) as the final part of the bearing shell. This composition must be hard enough to last and soft enough to absorb (bury) foriegn matter to not score the shaft journals. This babbet is probably .0015" thick so there isn't room to flog very long with no oil.