Rear axle torque

savagehenry

Looking for the correct torque on the axle for the rear wheel. The table of torque values shows 120 NM for the "rear spindle, housing side", but the exploded picture in the service manual shows 28-30 NM, one hell of a difference? One is basically "snug" while the other is "pretty damn tight", any thoughts? Thanks in advance, S.H.

Guest ratchethack

The Service manual spec's 120 Nm, or 88 lbs./ft.

Can't explain the 28-30 Nm. This is 22 lbs./ft. (?!?!) :huh2:

Many's the over-zealous shop gorilla who's taken it far enough past 88 lbs/ft. (doesn't take much) to crush the bearing spacer, eventually taking out the wheel bearings. You don't want that. :P

Ratch, the table of torques is from my owners manual and shows the 120 NM, 88.5 ft. lbs. The 28-30 NM, 22 ft. lbs. is from a exploded view of the rear end taken from the v11 service manual, which also shows the same 28-30 NM on the screws that mount the rotor mounting screws. You are exactly right about the gorillas, which is why I didn't want to go with the greater torque without some confirmation. I normally just go by feel, which I would be inclined to give a "solid grunt". I feel very strongly about frying a wheel bearing! Again, this site comes through, fast. Now, lets get back to more important things, like pissing off the overly sensitive :lol: , Thanks, S.H.

...right about the gorillas..... pissing off the overly sensitive....

huh! If Guzzi didn't make bearing spacers out of Mozarella, us apes wouldn't get ourselves into trouble...

I always tightened axles by feel, & good & tight - never had a problem before. Now I remade a heavier spacer I can still do it monkey style.

And...Why does manual spec torque measured at housing side ? Given axle head/nut is tightened end to end thru inner brng races & spacers what difference does it make which end you measure torque? Is it that axle itself is clamped by internals before full torque is reached at nut?

Cheers,

KB :sun:

I always use the torque wrench and the 120 NM is perhaps a bit tighter than I would have gone by feel.

The 'housing side' business has always concerned me. There is a hex drive on that side (21mm nut on the other) and I've never tried to apply that much torque to the hex drive. (?)

Guest ratchethack
Now, lets get back to more important things, like pissing off the overly sensitive

Yes, indeed, SH. It needs doin' alright -- and well. . . somebody's gotta step up to the plate. . . :sun:

The alternative = tippy-toeing around on eggshells so's not to offend somebody. . . and constantly apologizing for everything you do. Ever notice this is expected more 'n more places lately -- by old women of either gender???. <_< . . Thankfully, there are still some around who have the brazen audacity and unforgivable insensitivity to seldom pay much attention to performing to the expectations of others. :rolleyes:

Why, there oughtta be a law. Oh, yeah, that's right. There's already a passel of 'em, and lots more on the way. :homer:

Brings back memories of a former GF from many moons ago. Surprisingly enough, we got along splendidly most of the time ;) -- that is, except on "certain times of the month", when "everything I did and everything I said" suddenly became intolerably offensive. (Can you imagine? :P ) This er, cyclical incompatibility situation was brought to my attention (with a straight face) as a character fault (one of um, several) on my part. :( Really. :whistle:

The solution? Out o' town trips for Yours Truly once per month. Worked like a charm while it lasted. . .[sigh]. . . -_-

Uh-oh. Another perfectly good thread dragged into the mire. Now let's watch and see who's so offended by this post, that they're compelled to complain. Make no mistake. I've learned my lessons well -- whether now or later, no doubt there's gonna be some Hell to Pay. . . :whistle:

post-1212-1208278764.jpg

Hell to Pay in the mire

I'm put off on behalf of gorillas everywhere. They are endangered after all.

Furthermore, I'm offended at the suggestion that (we) Italians use mozzarella for bearing spacers even if it may be true.

These attacks on wildlife, culture, and... sob...the dairy industry have to stop.

Oo Oo Oo (Dragging my knuckles into the conversation. )

Being a world famous bearing chef ( I like 'em fried in yak fat with a little garlic)

I say over torquing is my favorite method of cooking 'em up to that nice glazed blue

perfection that will keep your friends talking about it for decades.

As you get proficient at it you can tighten just enough to ensurer dinner is done

just as you reach the furtherest destination of your trip.

I've managed this twice in nearly 40 years and I'm sure it will be

engraved on my head stone. (with a hammer and screw driver by my friends)

First time was in 199? on the Prince Edward Island bridge on a CBR and there was a lot of

joking about tightening the axle per length of trip.

Last time it was on the Guzzi and no matter what I said about fromunda cheese spacers

I was voted guilty of over torquing~~again~~ and had to go to remedial torque school and be re-certified by a panel of my drunken, taunting, anal BMW driving piers.

I arrived at the shop armed with a new set of bearings, torque specs and a 12 pack of IPA.

Replaced the offending bearings and torqued the axle back on to my normal

SAE / chimpanzee method. Then the panel of orangutans each armed with their own TW

checked my ball park tightening against the specs. I was in fact nominally over tight but we were all amazed at how low the specs were so we must have been going by the 22 ft lbs.

For the rest of the evening we played "how close can you come to the specs w/o the TW?"

which harkens back some 25 years ago when we used to blindfold ourselves and play "name

that part" when someones tranny or carburetor was apart on the bench.

What's my point? Either I forgot or I never had one except that wheel bearings and gorillas

bring up wonderful memories of side splitting fun and camaraderie.

I now go with 40lb. chimp torque instead of 60lb. chimp and haven't lost the axle nut yet

and I continue to alarm, distress and amuse my friends. Things would be different if any

of them had beaten me on the track back in the day...but they didn't so "nyahhh." :)

I do live in mortal fear of letting them down on a long trip however but we've all had our turn

@ it. Nothing a credit card can't cure. And we had a wonderful time with my CBR parked in

a good Canadians yard (with a seemingly endless supply of Molson Gold) while 3 guys cruised down to Monkton (!) and had to go to the stripper bar while they waited for the girl to come back from a 5:00 dinner to re-open the Honda shop (!) only to come up with only one of the 2 different bearings. 20 minutes latter we were on the road again. 15 years latter we still laugh about it and that bearing is still on the wall in my shop.

Monkeys and bearings, friends and motorcycles...priceless.

Our first camping trip of the season is 2 weeks away.

8 of us and the twisty mountain roads of VT.

I better grab the duct tape and bailing wire and head out to the shop.

:):mg::P

Guest ratchethack
I'm put off on behalf of gorillas everywhere. They are endangered after all.

Furthermore, I'm offended at the suggestion that (we) Italians use mozzarella for bearing spacers even if it may be true.

These attacks on wildlife, culture, and... sob...the dairy industry have to stop.

By Jove, I think you've got the hang of it, Dan!

The real knack o' taking offense seems to be letting yourself become conditioned to be most offended by the stuff that's in fact, the closest to being true. ;)