MY GUZZI SPORTS IS RUNNING ON ONE CYLINDER

2or4strokes

Hi guys

could someone help me with this problem that I have on my sports 1100i. The right cylinder is not firing and the bike is running on one cylinder.

The engine is almost brand new (40km)and had only recently been started as the bike is laid up for 5 years.

I have changed the ecu, checked the coils, changed the plugs, change the ignition wires, and still the plug is fouling up. It appears there is a spark but it is not firing, No idea what to do to make this baby run. Can someone please enlighten me on what is wrong with this beauty. :o:o:o

Hi guys

could someone help me with this problem that I have on my sports 1100i. The right cylinder is not firing and the bike is running on one cylinder.

The engine is almost brand new (40km)and had only recently been started as the bike is laid up for 5 years.

I have changed the ecu, checked the coils, changed the plugs, change the ignition wires, and still the plug is fouling up. It appears there is a spark but it is not firing, No idea what to do to make this baby run. Can someone please enlighten me on what is wrong with this beauty. :o:o:o

You need 3 things, compression, proper fuel mix, properly timed spark. It sounds like you have too much fuel, or maybe bad fuel from the long lay up. Sometimes these injectors leak (especially after sitting) flooding the cylinder with fuel. You can try swapping the injectors from side to side and see if your misfire follows. If the cylinder is really washed out with fuel, compression can be low. If you can't test compression, check the oil for a strong fuel odor. If there is a lot of gas in the oil, change it. Once your plug is fouled with fuel, replace it too.

Thanks

Dan

Will do what you advised .

just to let you know the bike has lots of engine oil in the exhuast collector when I bought it I had since drained it and actually started it a month ago . It ran fine for about 40 km until I washed the bike and had water in the fuel tank because the tank seal seal is not sealing. Anyway I drained the tank changed the fuel filter, poured in new fuel, and since then it showed those symptoms I described. :o

Sounds like you've pumped some water into the fuel system. Remove the hoses from the injectors, aim them into a bucket or something (outdoors) and turn on the ignition. Don't try to start it, just let the fuel pump do its thing. You may have to cycle it off and on a few times to get good fuel through the hoses.

Thanks

Dan

Will do what you advised .

just to let you know the bike has lots of engine oil in the exhuast collector when I bought it I had since drained it and actually started it a month ago . It ran fine for about 40 km until I washed the bike and had water in the fuel tank because the tank seal seal is not sealing. Anyway I drained the tank changed the fuel filter, poured in new fuel, and since then it showed those symptoms I described. :o

Oil in the collector sounds bad. I would either run a compression test or pull the head. But you may want to swap the injectors to see if the cylinder not firing moves with the injectors. If it does you know you have a fuel system issue. But I still don't like the sound of oil in the collector.

Hi Guzzi moto/Dan

I think what happens is that the bike was knocked over when it was in a crate thats why oil was found in the collector box.Anyway Will still try to sort out all this mess over the weekend. Thanks for your help. will keep you guys updated

Sounds like you've pumped some water into the fuel system. Remove the hoses from the injectors, aim them into a bucket or something (outdoors) and turn on the ignition. Don't try to start it, just let the fuel pump do its thing. You may have to cycle it off and on a few times to get good fuel through the hoses.

Thanks for the tip Callison. will try to see whether it works

2or4

I know this might sound stupid. Is there a facility near you that repairs fuel injectors? If so, they have the capabilities to; test, flow rate, clean and diagnose these injectors. You have water clogging one of these. Gasoline will go through the injectors gut not water. HTH !

It ran fine for about 40 km until I washed the bike and had water in the fuel tank because the tank seal seal is not sealing. Anyway I drained the tank changed the fuel filter, poured in new fuel, and since then it showed those symptoms I described. :o

Ahh, more info. Carl is right, drain the fuel in the manner he described. I wouldn't worry too much about injectors that only have 40km on them. You may want to blast a little air pressure or carb spray in the inlets when you have the hoses off in case there is any muck inside. There probably isn't too much water in the system or it wouldn't run on either cylinder. If you siphon some of the gas you've drained from the bottom of the container into a glass jar, it will be quickly evident if there is water present.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I have sorted out my problems but it is not as what we all thought . The problem is a bad contact on the connector of the throttle positon sensor. ater spraying some contact cleaner it works. I only found out this problem when i wanted to take out the fuel injector.

Thanks for all the replies :lol::lol: