Guzzi mod

dabore84

Hello people,

Surfing on the net I found this two pictures. They show a race custom guzzi. The most shocking mod is, that the air intake and the injectors are on the oil cooler spot and the exhaust tubes are now behind the cylinders. :huh:

Never seen something like that before and is very cool, specially with those termi exhaust pipes B)

01.jpg

02.jpg

What do you think? :D

The pictures came from tlm.nl site

http://www.tlm.nl/koffiehoek/gallerie/

What do you think? :D

must be damn hot on that seat :)

The Ghezzi's exhaust system is under-the-seat also, altho the exhausts are using the normal channeling of the two exhausts

and then divide it and send it to the left of the bike to end up under the seat.

I suspect we may loose a few ponies there, but it sure looks the part.

stwseat.JPG

Cool. I saw a post about a wierd Guzzi chopper a while ago that also had the heads turned around like that. Apparently it should be pretty easy to accomplish (basically swap the LH and RH heads and fabricate a camshaft for it) but there could be severe heat problems at the exhaust side, as someone mentioned then.

if they could find some way to do that from the factory it would appeal to more ppl I bet, it looks cleaner and could be cleaned up even more I imagine. The only downside really is what to do with all that heat, ouch.

Used to be popular with the old Triumph guys. I've seen a few modded like this. "Ram Air" was the theory...

Cobblers theory. The air has to _suck_ (sorry, Pete) the fuel out of the carbs. If it is at higher pressure than atmosphere it can't do that - it's forcing the fuel back into the carb.

This can work with injectors but there will be severe difficulties matching fuel and air flow due the (now functional) ram-air effect.

Cobblers theory. The air has to _suck_ (sorry, Pete) the fuel out of the carbs. If it is at higher pressure than atmosphere it can't do that - it's forcing the fuel back into the carb.

This can work with injectors but there will be severe difficulties matching fuel and air flow due the (now functional) ram-air effect.

Every (functioning) carb I've ever seen has a "reference" line at the edge of the carb bellmouth that feeds into the float bowl; this normalizes the pressure in the float bowl against ambient to enable utilization of the relative vacuum created by the constriction in the throat of the carb created by the slide/butterfly (1) ["Welcome to fundamentals of carbeurator theory 101"... :thumbsup:]

Now, as to needing to balance the "ram air" pressure in the fuel tank so that gas can get the float bowl, that's a different matter irrelevant to your statement above. ;)

Anyway, the ram air theory behind reversing the heads has some merit, tho' not due to "ram effect;" it's more a matter of getting cooler, denser air from the front of the bike before it has a chance to heat up in its trip around the hot engine. Unfortunately, as someone else already pointed out, the ex. pipes kinda need to be in front on an air-cooled engine, at least 4 strokes, to keep the ex. valve from burning up.

On a water-pumper, putting the header exiting the rear has some interesting advantages, so much so that when noted bicycle maker Cannondale was looking at branching out into dirtbikes, their prototype had the "reversed but really forward" engine config...

Ride on!

:bike:

(1) -yes Virgina, there are butterfly carbs out there w/o any kind of slide at all; I think Revco builds one...

Guest ratchethack

For an air-cooled motor, having the exhaust side of the heads tucked away out of the wind altogether, instead of as directly as possible facing into the blast at speed, is more than a theoretical problem. It presents a prohibitive practical problem. But as we're so often reminded, people will do almost anything to their motorcycles to attract attention for posing purposes -- even to the extent of rendering them practically unusable for riding. <_<

Air cooled heads on backwards = Rider's head on backwards. :whistle:

"Ram air effects" for a road bike = loopier than a bag o' squirrels. <_<

Yes, I know they've been selling "ram air" f'er half a century. PT Barnum was a terrific salesman, too -- ya gotta give 'em wot they're buying. . . . :lol:

My guess is they will find out pretty quickly why people stopped doing this experiment in the 1970's.

By reversing the heads you get inadequate air flow to cool the exhaust sides properly and the heads fall off the exhaust valves. Also any sort of 'Ram Air' system requires a large air box to act as a plennum chamber and doesn't start to deliver any real, tangible, benefits until you're going at 130MPH plus. It's a gimmic. An interesting and stylish gimmic but it won't deliver any performance increase.

As mentioned above you can't simply whack the heads on left for right, you need to grind up a different camshaft. Terrific waste of effort. It's a nice looking machine but....

Pete

My guess is they will find out pretty quickly why people stopped doing this experiment in the 1970's.

By reversing the heads you get inadequate air flow to cool the exhaust sides properly and the heads fall off the exhaust valves. Also any sort of 'Ram Air' system requires a large air box to act as a plennum chamber and doesn't start to deliver any real, tangible, benefits until you're going at 130MPH plus. It's a gimmic. An interesting and stylish gimmic but it won't deliver any performance increase.

As mentioned above you can't simply whack the heads on left for right, you need to grind up a different camshaft. Terrific waste of effort. It's a nice looking machine but....

Pete

thats all well and fine but am I to be informed you have TWO!!!!! griso's now????? WTF, I hate you, can I have one? ^_^

Every (functioning) carb I've ever seen has a "reference" line at the edge of the carb bellmouth that feeds into the float bowl; this normalizes the pressure in the float bowl against ambient to enable utilization of the relative vacuum created by the constriction in the throat of the carb created by the slide/butterfly (1) ["Welcome to fundamentals of carbeurator theory 101"... :thumbsup:]

Now, as to needing to balance the "ram air" pressure in the fuel tank so that gas can get the float bowl, that's a different matter irrelevant to your statement above. ;)

Anyway, the ram air theory behind reversing the heads has some merit, tho' not due to "ram effect;" it's more a matter of getting cooler, denser air from the front of the bike before it has a chance to heat up in its trip around the hot engine. Unfortunately, as someone else already pointed out, the ex. pipes kinda need to be in front on an air-cooled engine, at least 4 strokes, to keep the ex. valve from burning up.

On a water-pumper, putting the header exiting the rear has some interesting advantages, so much so that when noted bicycle maker Cannondale was looking at branching out into dirtbikes, their prototype had the "reversed but really forward" engine config...

Ride on!

:bike:

(1) -yes Virgina, there are butterfly carbs out there w/o any kind of slide at all; I think Revco builds one...

For an air-cooled motor, having the exhaust side of the heads tucked away out of the wind altogether, instead of as directly as possible facing into the blast at speed, is more than a theoretical problem. It presents a prohibitive practical problem. But as we're so often reminded, people will do almost anything to their motorcycles to attract attention for posing purposes -- even to the extent of rendering them practically unusable for riding. <_>

Air cooled heads on backwards = Rider's head on backwards. :whistle:

"Ram air effects" for a road bike = loopier than a bag o' squirrels. <_>

Yes, I know they've been selling "ram air" f'er half a century. PT Barnum was a terrific salesman, too -- ya gotta give 'em wot they're buying. . . . :lol:

Pete

Learning new stuff every day on this forum. :nerd: