Are the Roper schloppage shleetz still available?

quazi-moto

In the past this only happened to me once before. Accelerating briskly from a stop and the oil pressure light flickers on momentarily. Today it happened twice, once on the way in to work and once again on the way home. I didn't really gun it very hard either. When I got back home I pulled the dipstick and I was down about 1/2 quart so I topped her off with my good old Amsoil 20w50. The only other time this has happened was when the oil level was down 1/2 quart. I want some peace of mind so I'm lookin' for a sloppage sheet.

I bought one a week or so ago from MPH (site sponsor plug). About $173 with the new gaskets as I recall. I hope to get it installed in the next couple of weeks.

In the past this only happened to me once before. Accelerating briskly from a stop and the oil pressure light flickers on momentarily. Today it happened twice, once on the way in to work and once again on the way home. I didn't really gun it very hard either. When I got back home I pulled the dipstick and I was down about 1/2 quart so I topped her off with my good old Amsoil 20w50. The only other time this has happened was when the oil level was down 1/2 quart. I want some peace of mind so I'm lookin' for a sloppage sheet.

Yup, they're available, but if you haven't had the problem before check the other stuff first. Loose filter, oil level, bolts holding on the filter/thermostat munt and perhaps most importantly the sender switch.

For those who want them in the USA MPH may still have a couple and I've just ordered another batch for Greg at MI but there is a bit of a lead time on these as the business that makes 'em for me is run off their feet with work! Good news when our ecconomy is one of the strongest in the developed world!

I have about three still on the shelf here if Todd doesn't have one. I'm coming over to the National in Ca. in a few weeks, I can bring one for you then or post it if you feel you need it sooner.

Incidentally, I'll be riding my Scura from MPH to Ca. for the rally in the company of Sean Dunstan, (Maybe others?) so anyone coming across the 'Bottom' of the US is more than welvome to tag along. And yes, my Scura WILL be wearing a slopage sheet, even though I ride like a wanker and probably don't need one!

Pete

Remember to bring a fill of your Roper Farms ™ Synthetic Yak Fat ®, as you'll be running through some very hot weather . . .

Thats what I reckoned, I've told Mike and Todd to stick whatever they see fit in the Scura. My guess is that will mean some sort of ester base synth squeezed from atrificial Yaks somewhere in Texas!

Pete

I spent part of my day bugging oil companies for hard data so I can choose the best oils for Moto I's customers. Clearly, some companies are afraid to really let you know what's in there. Instead, they give the blather about exceeding blah, blah, blah marketing speech. Others come through like Maxima, with full analysis. Let me tell you, they do it for a reason. There's more of the good stuff in their 5w-40 than I've ever seen in any oil, a VI that's off the chart, and all that's on top of an ester synthetic base. It's what we'll be using in all the hydro Guzzis and probably in my Eldo and V11, too.

Guest ratchethack

Hey Greg

I empathize with your task. After a day "bugging oil companies" these days, I b'lieve I might wind up with lowered expectations for the future of humanity in general. . . <_<

I've spent enough time on oil Web sites and on the phone with their people to have a healthy skepticism about much o' wot they say and lots o' wot they publish. In me own case, I often (but not always) end up doubting how the products are "professionally" represented. <_<

I presume you buy oil in bulk by the barrel, as most shops do? Roger your high impression of Maxima. I'll bet you also considered Golden Spectro. If you have one, I'd appreciate it if you could give your read on Golden Spectro 20W-50 bulk oil (not the same as the bottled stuff). The reputation among my trusted sources is high, due to its alleged relative high levels of zinc and phospohorus (ZDDP) friction modifiers, but I haven't been able to verify this in any credible fashion, and the bulk barrels aren't marked with any rating, since Spectro apparently boycotted the entire rating fiasco when it all went wonky awhile back when the ratings started kow-towing to auto industry pressure and berzerk regulatory gyrations. . . :wacko:

TIA. Trust but Verify. :thumbsup:

I presume you buy oil in bulk by the barrel, as most shops do? Roger your high impression of Maxima. I'll bet you also considered Golden Spectro. If you have one, I'd appreciate it if you could give your read on Golden Spectro 20W-50 bulk oil (not the same as the bottled stuff). The reputation among my trusted sources is high, due to its alleged relative high levels of zinc and phospohorus (ZDDP) friction modifiers, but I haven't been able to verify this in any credible fashion, and the bulk barrels aren't marked with any rating, since Spectro apparently boycotted the entire rating fiasco when it all went wonky awhile back when the ratings started kow-towing to auto industry pressure and berzerk regulatory gyrations. . . :wacko:

TIA. Trust but Verify. :thumbsup:

Hey Ratch,

Are you sure about this? I've been selling Spectro for about 15 years. I do not buy MC oil in bulk as I don't do enough volume. I only stock liters and 4 liter bottles. On some old stock (two label changes ago) there is no rating, it only states that it exceeds all manufacturer's standards.... On the current bottles (both single liters and 4 liter) it states that it meets API SF/SG and JASO MA quality requirements for the Golden Spectro.

In the product guides all the part numbers for a particular line have the same part code other than a prefix for the container size be it liter, 4 liter or 55 gallon.

Do you think they make a separate, different blend for the barrels? Why manufacture double products?

Yikes! Is this turning into an oil thread?!?!?!?

Edit: I'm thinking the bulk is not labled because it is not a direct to the consumer item. I sell buy Valvoline in bulk, it is only labled as to the grade. Their bulk gear lube however does have quality ratings. :huh2:

I don't buy in barrels because the local ordinances require oil-containment measures that are prohibitively expensive, and then the fire department looks at you in a whole new way.

I'll ask Spectro and see what they say. I used to use it in the late '80s and thought it was excellent oil.

Guest ratchethack
Do you think they make a separate, different blend for the barrels? Why manufacture double products?

Dan, my Dad's first job as a degreed engineer fresh out of college was at Shell Oil. This was back in the days when the USA was still building refineries (they stopped some 40-50 years ago). He worked at a brand new one at the time. Of the many myth-shattering discoveries (relative to wot advertising would have us believe) that he related to me was the phenomenon of refineries shipping the SAME STUFF under entirely different label at widely different market prices in IDENTICAL quantity containers. . . <_<

I have little doubt that some (many? most? all?) oil producers do this in spades today. Trouble is, since the stuff is both labeled and sold through so many different channels downmarket (or in the case above, labeled so minimally that you haven't much of a clue) -- and now you have such a wide spectrum of "specialty" variations, grades, and ratings on them, how d'you ever know wot's in there unless you know somebody who actually put it in there who knows?! :doh: I reckon the guys I talk to about this who buy the stuff in bulk are simply making assumptions that because the labels are completly different and the costs are completely different, that the oil itself is different -- I reckon they don't have any more of a clue than meself?!?!

And wot's the diligent and conscientious consumer o' the stuff to do?!?! :huh2:

In the product guides all the part numbers for a particular line have the same part code other than a prefix for the container size be it liter, 4 liter or 55 gallon.

Now HERE'S some encouraging intelligence I hadn't been privvy to!

Best clue I've had in months. . . :(

Many thanks, Dan. :sun:

Of the many myth-shattering discoveries (relative to wot advertising would have us believe) that he related to me was the phenomenon of refineries shipping the SAME STUFF under entirely different label at widely different market prices in IDENTICAL quantity containers. . . <_>

Interesting. Wine producers do the exact same thing, for various reasons. :drink:

__Jason

New reason for oil light coming on....

UFI filter gasket completely cut-through in two places, 180deg apart!!!!

Oil light flickered on at idle, and crept up to 3k as it warmed up.

Done a few thousand miles and a trackday at Knockhill with no more problems so I guess the bearings survived the ordeal.

Never seen anything like it before!!!

I'll find the pictures sometime.

'later

New reason for oil light coming on....

UFI filter gasket completely cut-through in two places, 180deg apart!!!!

Oil light flickered on at idle, and crept up to 3k as it warmed up.

Done a few thousand miles and a trackday at Knockhill with no more problems so I guess the bearings survived the ordeal.

Never seen anything like it before!!!

I'll find the pictures sometime.

'later

Consider alternative filters with better gasket designs,-see the FAQ Section.