Le Mans III heads on V11 Sport

FE-427

There is a set of heads on fleabay from a Le Mans III. Will they work on a V11 Sport?

I read the reply from the seller but didn't understand valve overlap questions and such..

Cheers

There is a set of heads on fleabay from a Le Mans III. Will they work on a V11 Sport?

I read the reply from the seller but didn't understand valve overlap questions and such..

Cheers

They will fit, but I doubt they will work very well. The mid-valve LeMAns heads have a smaller combustion chamber so the compression ratio will be too high, the ports will be too small and there may be clearance issues between the valves and the piston at the end of the exhaust and begining of the induction cycle. Not sure whether V11 heads have breather/oil return spigots either? LeMans III ones don't.

Pete

Maybe someone w/ a copy of Guzziology will chime in; I don't know if the stud spacing is the same for the early square heads vs. the v11 & Spot/Sportis. I do know that the valve sizes are different, w/ smaller sizes in the LMIII than our more evolved/higher output motors. So even if they will fit, they won't produce as much h.p. as the proper v11 heads.

Maybe someone w/ a copy of Guzziology will chime in; I don't know if the stud spacing is the same for the early square heads vs. the v11 & Spot/Sportis. I do know that the valve sizes are different, w/ smaller sizes in the LMIII than our more evolved/higher output motors. So even if they will fit, they won't produce as much h.p. as the proper v11 heads.

All squarrefins have the same stud spacing.

All squarrefins have the same stud spacing.

Good to know, Pete, thanks! I take it that the spigot hole in the cases will vary depending on whether it was an 88mm, etc. bore? Not an issue in this case, since the OP is only looking at replacing the heads...

I'm going to make an assumption here. I'm guessing that the original poster could buy these heads relatively cheap, and then dump money into them and get them to (maybe) work. OR, he could simply take his existing heads and send them to someone like Mike Rich to work his magic on, which is a sure bet.

In other words, I suspect these LM III heads may be more trouble than they're worth. :2c:

__Jason

I need them for another reason I am using the Guzzi as a test mule for United States Patent US7299785

I have done a base line with a Power Commander III, Stucchi crossover and Mistral slip-ons.

Now the hard part I will first check apples to apples and do not expect much gain there.

Then I will start off by retarding the timing, increasing compression and using lower octane.

This will require modifying a set of heads to a bathtub chamber and a compression ration of 14:1

So the goal is to prove more torque by firing at +6* total advance, no detonation and a more complete burn.

I may have to abandon the Power Commander III for a Direct-Link Performance Tuning Kit from Todd as I am left in the cold to retard the timing..

Cheers

I need them for another reason I am using the Guzzi as a test mule for United States Patent US7299785

I have done a base line with a Power Commander III, Stucchi crossover and Mistral slip-ons.

Now the hard part I will first check apples to apples and do not expect much gain there.

Then I will start off by retarding the timing, increasing compression and using lower octane.

This will require modifying a set of heads to a bathtub chamber and a compression ration of 14:1

So the goal is to prove more torque by firing at +6* total advance, no detonation and a more complete burn.

I may have to abandon the Power Commander III for a Direct-Link Performance Tuning Kit from Todd as I am left in the cold to retard the timing..

Cheers

I have a set of crash damaged (to the fins only) Ballabio heads that i was going to ebay. Make me an offer and they are yours. I'm in So Cal too.