New guy with Purchase Question (now owner with pic)

JES1680

Hey everyone, new guy here. Very close to my frist Guzzi. Had some questions.

I've pretty much owned everything but a Guzzi in my time and am looking at a 2003 LeMans. 2100 miles. The only issue is that the bike has been dropped on the left side. Slightly bent clutch lever, small scuff on the farring, small scuff on the head protector? and the left can, and a slightly bent left clipon bar.

It apparently happened as the rider came to a stop. I've read the FAQ, so I'm aware of the standard things, and I've ridden the bike and it rides fine.

Is there anything I should specifically check for on one of these that has hit the ground?

I noticed some slight oil weeping from the valve covers, and some on the bottom crossover but that looks like from the last careless oil change.

Secondly, is there anyone who has compared the BMW R1100 S to the LeMans? I've got a line on one of these as well, but I'm leaning heavily towards the Guzzi.

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jes.

... I'm aware of the standard things, and I've ridden the bike and it rides fine.

Is there anything I should specifically check for on one of these that has hit the ground?

I noticed some slight oil weeping from the valve covers, and some on the bottom crossover but that looks like from the last careless oil change.

Secondly, is there anyone who has compared the BMW R1100 S to the LeMans? I've got a line on one of these as well, but I'm leaning heavily towards the Guzzi.

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jes.

I think you've done your homework. if the cosmetic damage doesn't bother you and the bike steers well, then don't worry about it. you can replace the clip on, lever, whatever, over time. You can get the scratches removed or touched up if needed. On the other hand, with them already there you won't be worrying over every little nick or chip.

Oil from the covers is nothing ... either incorrectly tightened cover, or a crummy gasket. Easy fix. Oil on the crossover is likely as you suspect. A little sloppage. Could be a little output from breather hose.

The 1100s is a fine bike. Both are. I'm a a BMW owner and appreciate the high build quality and excellent suspension. technically, it's probably the better bike (flame suit on). Beemers are not without their faults though. The Goose has MUCH more soul and will put a bigger grin on your face. Probably easier to work on, especially if the BMW has ABS. So if you had both bikes, when the niggles arose you'd probably be able to sort the Goose by yourself and with some assistance from this lot of Guzzi nutters. Any significant issues on a later model BMW often requires a visit to the dealer.

Bottom line for me is to ride what stirs the soul ... technical bits, HP, specs, etc., is all secondary.

psh, you should buy mine, it needs a loving home tho its a red framed sport not a lemans and hasn't been dropped(well knocked over by a asian(yes he was asian and no I'm not racist) in a parking lot that his insurance paid for fully) and has tons of upgrades, I'm just looking to give'r a good home and its in the forsale section with pics, body work is out for some paint right now thats not currently on the bike ^_^

psh, you should buy mine, it needs a loving home tho its a red framed sport not a lemans and hasn't been dropped(well knocked over by a asian(yes he was asian and no I'm not racist) in a parking lot that his insurance paid for fully) and has tons of upgrades, I'm just looking to give'r a good home and its in the forsale section with pics, body work is out for some paint right now thats not currently on the bike ^_^

I saw yours, but I really like the faring and color on this one, Black / Grey as it's a very close match to my 82 911. Also, yours already has all the mods done. Where's the fun in that :) I love to tinker.

They are the same price though.

I damn near bought yours (bought Bruno's instead) - the red tank just clashes with the green bits though. :)

OP: welcome to the worst addiction you'll ever have.

I damn near bought yours (bought Bruno's instead) - the red tank just clashes with the green bits though. :)

OP: welcome to the worst addiction you'll ever have.

I understand I love to tinker, add, subtract, so on so I get you AND yeah thats why all the green "bits" are at the painters to be turned matte black with new larger V11 logo's on the side minus the "sport" should look nice and slick and similar to if say a Scura and Rosso Mandello had a baby, you'll see it'll be hott

and hell I still have all the stock silver body work sitting on a shelf, I could buy a rashed up V11 and have a second pristine bike in an hour :grin:

I understand I love to tinker, add, subtract, so on so I get you AND yeah thats why all the green "bits" are at the painters to be turned matte black with new larger V11 logo's on the side minus the "sport" should look nice and slick and similar to if say a Scura and Rosso Mandello had a baby, you'll see it'll be hott

and hell I still have all the stock silver body work sitting on a shelf, I could buy a rashed up V11 and have a second pristine bike in an hour :grin:

When will the paint job be complete? That's (sort of Scura clone) pretty much what I'm thinking of doing to mine and I'd be curious to see how it turns out.

When will the paint job be complete? That's (sort of Scura clone) pretty much what I'm thinking of doing to mine and I'd be curious to see how it turns out.

they're so backed up at the paintshop it might not be till june :angry:

I'll try and rush them but I told them as long as I get it by june we could give it a go as I have my Aprilia and they're pretty reasonable

and believe me, it'll look so good I'll probably change my mind on selling :wub:

....Is there anything I should specifically check for on one of these that has hit the ground?....

Check also areas around front (timing chest) engine mount bolts for signs of oil seepage. This could indicate a knackered gasket or a cracked case. They seem vulnerable here when crashed.

KB :sun:

Well she came home with me today. I'm very happy. Such a big friendly engine, lots of low end but will spin freely and keep building power. Seems like the "adult" sport bike.

First mod will have to be new riding jacket and pants as I "modified" my Alpinstar jacket yesterday when my DRZ 400 SM decided to lowside in a corner. :(

First streetbike accident in 19 years. My new mantra cold tires are slippery! cold tires are slippery! cold tires are slippery! cold tires are slippery!

Not a good pic, but a pic.

IMG_2093.jpg

Well she came home with me today. I'm very happy. Such a big friendly engine, lots of low end but will spin freely and keep building power. Seems like the "adult" sport bike.

First mod will have to be new riding jacket and pants as I "modified" my Alpinstar jacket yesterday when my DRZ 400 SM decided to lowside in a corner. :(

First streetbike accident in 19 years. My new mantra cold tires are slippery! cold tires are slippery! cold tires are slippery! cold tires are slippery!

Not a good pic, but a pic.

IMG_2093.jpg

UMMMM yeah, ask me how I know, must have been somewhere around 28-32 and lets just say I'm never doing that again so I feel your pain, cold tires first corner bad news, I have to state I was going about 7mph

DSC_2307.jpg

I was going slightly more than 7mph maybe as fast as 15. I had just waved to about 5 of my neighbors sitting in their yard before I took the left out of my development. I've always felt if you are gonna crash you might as well have an audience :D

The last really good dirtbike crash I had I was told by my buddy that was one of the funniest things he's ever seen. This of was of course after I regained conciousness and we found I only had one or two broken bones and a concussion. I live to entertain :)