Fuel pump

gstallons

After taking the fuel tank off of my bike to look for the infamous (loose) neutral wiring connector, I noticed the fuel pump is located on the frame side rail. The filter is located on the top of the frame rail. Looking at servce manuals and parts manuals it shows the opposite.

Which is correct?

After taking the fuel tank off of my bike to look for the infamous (loose) neutral wiring connector, I noticed the fuel pump is located on the frame side rail. The filter is located on the top of the frame rail. Looking at servce manuals and parts manuals it shows the opposite.

Which is correct?

I believe I'm right in saying that the pump location was changed several times (3 ?) the final location being in the tank itself.

So the answer to your question is that the location is correct for your bike :lol::mg:

At least four locations were used if you count the final "in tank" solution from 2003 onward, and assume any had the fuel pump on top of the spine.

The original shop manual illustrates the pump on top of the spine, although I personally haven't seen any delivered this way. Perhaps early models were.

Most up through 2002 had the arrangement you've observed, with the filter on top of the spine, and the pump slung low on the left side of the spine.

But a few bikes, such as Jaap's, had their fuel pump "out front" in a similar fashion to a Centauro, where we find the oil-cooler fitted on most V11s. In those cases the oil cooler is moved down a bit, covering the alternator cover.

And again, starting in 2003(but not in the 2002-spec 2003 "Sport Naked" model), we moved to the final in-tank pump/filter module which finally solved the vapor-lock issue and really cleaned up the plumbing, as well as giving a marginally larger fuel capacity.

Al