Anyone Experience this?

ponti_33609

Hi All,

Started noticing this in the past couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone has encountered?

When slowing down and preparing for a stop in 1st gear (usually for a traffic light), it feels as if there is a slight speeding up of the drive shaft. Not enough that it jolts the bike forward but I can definately feel a change in the feel of the gears/drive shaft. The clutch is out and I am slowing and going not more than 5-10 MPH when I experience this. The rpm's are steady.

Thx for any insight anyone might have.

Bob

Hi - I am not sure I am below idle speed but this might be the culprit. I am definately still "pulling" forward as I am slowing down. But I do only notice it when just about ready to pull in the clutch and stop.

Bob

Guest ratchethack

Bob, I don't think there's any funny business going on here. I've had the same impression many times under similar circumstances. It's a rare occurence for me to be in first whilst preparing to stop and still moving forward, but traffic conditions and signal light timing can (and does) certainly give rise to exactly this circumstance. I b'lieve it's a bit of an illusion that takes effect when your middle ear experiences steady slowing down under braking followed by a sudden steady-state forward movement. Your body perceives the lack of continued slowing as speeding up. Ever experience this without having slowed considerably just prior? I haven't, but that's just me. :rolleyes:

Think of it this way. With clutch fully engaged and in gear, at steady RPM, there's no way the driveshaft can be at any other state than as steady RPM as the crankshaft.

Just my take, FWIW. :huh2: