SCURA FORK SEALS

GED 01

the seals have gone which im going to replace on saturday,ive read as much as i can and made all the nessesary tools,for removal ,as ive said ive read a lot on this forum to pre arm myself for the job ahead,,,trouble is somwhere ive read the words "heatgun" and "loctite" ive re read a hell of a lot of posts and cant find any mention of these words ,,,,have i imajined these words or somewhere along the line im going to need a heatgun and some form of loctite to change the fork seals

The heatgun would be used to help heat up and loosen the the bolt that holds the damping rod in. If you have a good impact gun and socket you can normally get it out without the heat though.

Never needed heatgun, impact wrench or loctite. Not sure which bolt Emry means :huh2:

Ohlins tool to undo fork tops is expensive but good. Put a large diam washer cut w a slot to hold down preload tube under locknut whilst fitting top nuts....& a small aly bar to leaver against when removing seals, so as not to damage tubes.

NB: WATCH OUT NOT TO LOSE THE LITTLE VALVE THAT'LL TRY & FLY OUT THE TOP OF OF LONG DAMPER TUBE WHEN YOU PUMP TO PURGE OIL.

KB :sun:

The heat gun would likely be used to heat the outter tubes so the seals come out and go in easier. Putting the new seals in the freezer also helps.

well i did the seals on saturday,bit of a bugger of a job just little things were going wrong that i didnt expect from my 14mm allen key gone missing so i had to make one to remove the front wheel,to front mud guard bolts snapping of in the fork anchors ,and then the 5mm tap snapping off when i tried to tap out the hole,,,,,,,anyhow there done and MY GOD my bike feels totally different i mean it actually handles like l want it to no more under damped feeling no more slow turn ins ,no bottoming out,the damping is progressive and smooth then firming up towards the end of the stroke,ive managed to remove half me toe slider on my new smxr"s...country lanes are a joy ,and fear not the tight twisty bits,,,amazing what 20 quids worth of new fork oil will do ,and i also spent some time setting up the suspension,i also dropped the forks 6mm through the clamps /yolks to try and quicken up the steering,anyhow whatever i did the bikes sweet,

PS TO THE MOTO GUZZI MECHANIC WHO I SPOKE TO ON THE PHONE WHO SAID IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO CHANGE THE SEALS AT HOME AND I WOULD HAVE TO RETURN THEM TO A OHLINS DEALER TO RE BUILD @ A COST OF £200

yer wrong