03 Range ?

daveco2

Can anyone with an 03 V11 tell me what the typical range is for a tank of gas? Or if the mapping and setup are similar for other model years, that information would be helpful also.

Id like to be able to get ranges around 200 miles without going to any extensive mods, if possible.

Thanks,

D

Can anyone with an 03 V11 tell me what the typical range is for a tank of gas? Or if the mapping and setup are similar for other model years, that information would be helpful also.

Id like to be able to get ranges around 200 miles without going to any extensive mods, if possible.

Thanks,

D

How much downhill road do you have?

Thanks,

D

I've done 310kms [around 194 miles] once, during a tour I did through NE California. I had no choice, there were no fuel stops. I don't think you should try it consistantly, as there are times when you will run dry depending on how hard your wrist is acting.

Mods to the EFI will mean even more lean running, something I would not do with this bike.

Steve

In California, it´s mostly straight and level through the desert and I´m real easy on the throttle. I noticed that the specs for this bike show a tank capacity of 5.8 gallons, so at 40 mpg that would mean an easy 200 mile range. Is that right?

Dave

In California, it´s mostly straight and level through the desert and I´m real easy on the throttle. I noticed that the specs for this bike show a tank capacity of 5.8 gallons, so at 40 mpg that would mean an easy 200 mile range. Is that right?

In theory.

My 2002/03 gets closer to 36 mpg, and there's a famously large amount of petrol that remains inaccessible in the tank. You can probably do a search to find out just how much. My "low fuel" light tends to come on at just 120 miles....

Being gentle with the throttle and on only motorways, I can get about 160 miles before the light comes on. 200 may be a little on the optimistic side....

Don't trust Guzzi specs. Sporti specs say 19 liters, but it's just 16.5 liters. At least that was what the pump showed after filling a completely dry tank (after winter teardown) with bike on central stand.

Don't trust Guzzi specs. Sporti specs say 19 liters, but it's just 16.5 liters. At least that was what the pump showed after filling a completely dry tank (after winter teardown) with bike on central stand.

Oh no! Does that mean the LeMans is not really a touring bike?

Dave

Dave

What specs? I'm looking at the owners manual I got with my Nero Corsa and it claims 20.7 liters of fuel. That's 5.46 gallons.

Personally, I don't believe it. Especially considering the internal fuel pump.

I've never run my Nero Corsa out of gas. The low-fuel light comes on early. About the longest I've ever run mine was 175 miles and it took about 4.2 gallons. That's about 42mpg. However, my bike usually returns an average of 37/38mpg. That means gas at about 160 miles...

I'll carry some spare fuel sometime and test its true range. I'm thinking of hooking up the AUX tank I used to use on the Quota for the trip I'm planning for September...

Oh no! Does that mean the LeMans is not really a touring bike?

Dave

You could of course tour on just about anything. But in the context of what's available out there today, and what's available in the touring catagory, this is not a touring bike. It could however be considered in the sport touring catagory, as there are some bikes in that catagory as well as the V11 Lemans that do not offer he range you are looking for.

As mentioned above, with the internal tank fuel pump, you could in theory expect a slightly longer range on pre-2002 bikes, which have an external fuel pump.

I've just come back from a 2 day 1300km ride on the V11. One thing I was forced to experiment with and found an interesting thing with was the available fuel. I use 94 octane in Canada, highest available. When we went into the U.S., where, on the west coast, the best is 92 octane, sometimes in the back woods the best you will find is 91. Well, I have clear proof that I got better mileage on the lower octane fuel. This makes sense of course, because all 'high octane' uses to stop pre-detonation [pinging] is a flame inhibitor, to prevent this problem. So the lower octane fuels actually flame and burn better, easier. One time, I could only find 87. I managed to get 10% better economy over the 94 Chevron. As long as you avoid turning the throttle back hard, or long steep climbs with a head wind, you can avoid pinging and keep a steady 75 mph cruising speed.

Steve