MY vapor lock tale

V11crazed

one that I was hoping I didn't belong to. The world of vapor lock on a hot day.... :bbblll:

To enlighten those that are unaware of the extreme temps. in the Sonoran desert.....last Tuesday was overcast and windy...one single day and it got no higher than 70 degrees. Less than a week later finds Monday arriving with 100 degree afternoon. Damn, bad day to wear the black leather jacket.... B) And I can tell you, after 14 years here, the first blast of May heat is still a shock.

On my way home from work, I decide to swing by the grocery store and treat myself to a bottle of cold, California, chardonnay. I pictured myself gazing at my backyard (from indoors)...lounging and listening to some chill tunes. NICE, I say.

I stop, get my goods, saunter out to the Guzzi. No deal, no start. From all the threads I've read recently, I figured I too, was a victim. Since I knew it required some waiting.....I waited. With sweat pouring down my back and yes, down the butt crack...uggg, none to sexy.... :moon:

Even my eyeballs were sweating. I only unzipped the jacket, as trying to wriggle out of a snug, wet jacket and soaked helmet, just didn't sound appealing. The chard was warming up and I was getting antsy. FINALLY, after some chugging and huffing, she started and I zoomed home.

It took a few long minutes to peel out of my gear and catch my breathe. As I did, and....I kid you not, the ice cream truck came cruising down the street...blasting the tune of..."It's a small world" (every night, like clockwork, he does this)........:glare:

I dashed inside, tossed the chard in the freezer, waited about 20 minutes and am now, thankfully, enjoying some liquid vine and telling my tale of life on my beloved belle verde.... :drink:

Cheers to all....and to hoping we all soon get our vapor lock issues sorted out.

Nancy

ps. what's worse, that @#$% song keeps repeating in my heat-addled brain.. :vomit:

The chard was warming up and I was getting antsy. FINALLY, after some chugging and huffing, she started and I zoomed home.

I understand the need to chug the chardonnay, to stay cool but the huffing?

Huffing is for suckers! There are better things to inhale than airplane glue, spray paint, and gasoline!!! :rasta:

ps. what's worse, that @#$% song keeps repeating in my heat-addled brain.. :vomit:

I have friends that actually like the "It's a small world" ride at Dizney land....as I said, huffing is for suckers, and huffing is the only explanation I can up with for their taste in entertainment :oldgit:

one that I was hoping I didn't belong to. The world of vapor lock on a hot day.... :bbblll:

Do you know about making sure fuel lines aren't contacting engine, and some of the other solutions???

Stay cool! B)

I understand the need to chug the chardonnay, to stay cool but the huffing?

Huffing is for suckers! There are better things to inhale than airplane glue, spray paint, and gasoline!!! :rasta:

I have friends that actually like the "It's a small world" ride at Dizney land....as I said, huffing is for suckers, and huffing is the only explanation I can up with for their taste in entertainment :oldgit:

Do you know about making sure fuel lines aren't contacting engine, and some of the other solutions???

Stay cool! B)

My paper bag is blown....no more glue for me tonight....:)

And yes, thank you.....I have read some past posts and plan on taking this up with my mechanic. For what it's worth, I did jiggle the fuel line, but for me, that's akin to kicking the tires and raising the hood on my car if it won't start....yeah, I'm so not mechanically inclined....

But, I'm learning..... :lol:

And yes, thank you.....I have read some past posts and plan on taking this up with my mechanic. For what it's worth, I did jiggle the fuel line, but for me, that's akin to kicking the tires and raising the hood on my car if it won't start....yeah, I'm so not mechanically inclined....

Well, if you're mechanic has a fix for this, then by all means be sure to share it with us! Also, while he's answering the unanswerable, be sure to ask him about the meaning of life! :lol:

Sorry... my brain has vapor lock, methinks... :P:

__Jason

You're not alone Nancy. I regularly have "3 Ring Circus" spinning about in my brain.

I posted something about VapLok in the other thread but I've little hope of creating a link as I'm currently well into the juice and gin, well mostly gin. Does a squirt of lime constitute juice? I think it does. There's some tonic in there too. I really only drink gin for the quinine. Oh, and the gin.

Which seems to have dribbled out the big hole in my glass. Off for another, with dreams of sweaty leather and butt crack... You know, I might not last the six months. I might have to hit on you sooner. ;)

cheers,

Ah, it's that time of year again.... much like the 4 year gap in the debate over our(USA) electoral college(just wait, it'll start again soon :P ) .... once the temps start to climb, the Vapor Lock threads return <_>

Although I spent more than a fair amount of time working on this problem before finally getting a 2003 spec tank(which did solve it ultimately), I never did come up with a sure fired solution.

I do think that insulating the fuel lines, pump, and maybe even filter are a good insurance policy. But I can't say that under the most extreme conditions of heat, and perhaps altitude, this won't still happen.

One "field solution" that comes to mind might be to install a purge valve in the fuel supply line that one could easily press/open to evacuate pressure/fuel onto the ground in these odd situations. Then one wouldn't have to fight with tools around a hot engine to try to work the fuel supply line off of the petcock.

Just a thought...

Al

Possible false alert!

Pulled into Atlanta Motor World in suburban Atlanta to check out the Grisos -- talked for about a half hour -- went to start the V11 -- and NOTHING!

Farted around with it for a bit -- then buried my pride and told the guys at the dealership what was going on.

They immediately sent their "Italian Tech" -- Ben Brace -- out to see what was going on. In about two minutes, he asked if I had recently installed the Pazzo shorty levers. Yes, I said.

"Well, you need to adjust this piece..."

Did it. All is well.

Solid dealer, to say the least.

I'm definitely gonna buy a Griso from them, as Atlanta Triumph-Ducati has gone to the dogs!

v50

PS THE PIECE in question was the "sensor" at the fore of the Clutch lever. I thought all I had to do was get the contact piece back in.

No. Needs adjustment. Hmmm...