Black Spark plugs

wheelsucker

As some have read, I've got an airflow problem and my bike sputters around 4k. I checked the plugs and they are black; a burnt black like a piece of charcoal. My question now is if there is a way to increase airflow. How much would the FBF open airbox lid hlelp? Or do I get a different map? Thanks for the great help and advice.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As some have read, I've got an airflow problem and my bike sputters around 4k. I checked the plugs and they are black; a burnt black like a piece of charcoal. My question now is if there is a way to increase airflow. How much would the FBF open airbox lid hlelp? Or do I get a different map? Thanks for the great help and advice.

(Sigh.) When was the last time it had a decent service/tune? If you do your own servicing what exactly does that service/tune constitute? I'm not being nasty or cruel, simply asking because black plugs, especially on a bike with a poor ETS refference, is commonplace and no amount of 'Cheap and Easy' mods will cure it. The really GREAT thing is getting it set up properly, not neccessarily by a proffesional, but by someone who knows what they are doing, or yourself if you are willing to buy some tools and get stuck in, will in the long run work out CHEAPER than chasing the chimera of a 'Quick-Fix'.

But what would I know>

Pete

(Sigh.) When was the last time it had a decent service/tune? If you do your own servicing what exactly does that service/tune constitute? I'm not being nasty or cruel, simply asking because black plugs, especially on a bike with a poor ETS refference, is commonplace and no amount of 'Cheap and Easy' mods will cure it. The really GREAT thing is getting it set up properly, not neccessarily by a proffesional, but by someone who knows what they are doing, or yourself if you are willing to buy some tools and get stuck in, will in the long run work out CHEAPER than chasing the chimera of a 'Quick-Fix'.

But what would I know>

Pete

Well stated I couldnt agree more

It was fully tuned, balanced, etc. about 4k miles ago at the MG/Ducati shop in Maryland. The bike was running perfectly, then over the winter I added a full exhaust and PC3. Ran for about 150miles before I started noticing it sputtering at 4k rpm's.

It was fully tuned, balanced, etc. about 4k miles ago at the MG/Ducati shop in Maryland. The bike was running perfectly, then over the winter I added a full exhaust and PC3. Ran for about 150miles before I started noticing it sputtering at 4k rpm's.

Do you have a custom map or off the shelf? If all tune up adjustments are proper I'd suggest going back to the scene of the crime. The new exhaust will make it breath easier which means lean. Seems to indicate the PC3 map is too rich if things changed with that mod. There are quite a few off the shelf maps available here. You may want to try something different. You can always go back.

Guest ratchethack

Wot Dan and Pete said. Somethin's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out o' whack here. 150 mi. on a professional tuneup and it's loading up and blackening the plugs "like charcoal"?!?! :whistle:

Unless your shop is hoplessly incompetent, or you're running a map not from a V11, but from an entirely different motor, there's something else goin' on here. <_<

Now o' course I have no clue about your shop's level of competence tuning V11's (do you?), but I'd take it up with them as step #1.

As Pete noted, the LAST thing you want to do is go about re-plumbing the intake in pursuit of salvation here. You'd be chasing the wrong thing. With just about any well done PC III map you'd care to put in there, the motor will have A/F ratios that will read very well on the plugs and perform as well on the road as is.

Good luck. B)

Yea sounds like you have a air fuel ratio problem. You need to go back to the drawing board on that map and get your fuel trim in the right direction before you add any more goodies and worsen the problem

Good luck and happy maping

Brent

easy...easy guys...

WS took it to the shop...it came out a bit rich.

The wrench might not have had the Guzzi touch and more

likely been a Ducati snob and not enthused about applying all

his precious talents on a mere Guzzi.

Remember...not everyone that loves to ride was born with grease under his finger nails.

Take it back to the shop WS and find who if anyone there

has a particular soft spot for Guzzis and explain the situation.

Actually, without doing a "throttle Chop" I don't know if you can get

a really accurate reading of the plugs @ 150 mi. The stumble @ 4K sound like classic

TB sync problem ....and tell them to set the valves at .006 .008

not Guzzi specs....or we'll come there collectively and fart in his general direction

Which one looks like your plugs? http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Spark_Plugs_catalog.html

I was using the map from Guzzitech for the high flow exhaust and x-over (stock airbox), I switched to the v11 map with mistral x-over and exhaust from the PC3 site. The maps are a little different and after switching the bike ran fine for about 30 mins before I started getting the sputtering this time between 3k and 4k rpm's. It appears that it didn't happen if I was going up through the rpm band but more so if I was staying at a steady rpm.

So maybe I need to get the bike retuned?? and get the valves set to the .006 or .008 specs?

What full exhaust system are you using?

Map selection should based on crossover, mufflers, and intake.

You have the stock airbox and some unknown mufflers and crossovers?

All the listings at guzzitech for "high flow" are for Daytonas, Centauros, etc., and not for V11s.

The map I got from Guzzitech is a map that he has and only gives to those that purchase from him; its for a high flow exhaust w/stock airbox for the 2003/4 V11. The one I pulled from the PC website is for a 2001 V11 with Mistral exhaust and x-over.

My exhaust is a mistral x-over and FBF carbon mufflers; no other mods.

.... a burnt black like a piece of charcoal.....

This is only partially so? About 1/3 or 1/2 of the isolator dome? Like black shiny lacquer? Then it is a normal thing. I don't know why exactly, but I could see this on all the Guzzis I had so far.

BTW, if your bike runs well and strong, as you've mentioned, why the heck you thought you needed this PC stuff? Good marketing talk?

Hubert