buying old bike in storage 7 years

I tried searching but came up with nada.

A friend is interested in a 77 BMW R100 that has been in storage for 7 years, and came from an estate sale. We are going to look at it this afternoon. The price is good, but I don't know what to expect. The tank has rust and the petcocks removed, so we probably can't start it. What can I do to assess the condition of this bike? I can see if it turns over, and general condition. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Joe

Something sitting that long I'd pull completely apart...just 'cause.

Figure on replacing anything that looks or smells like a seal or bearing.

Pull everything electrical apart, clean+lube with dielectric grease.

That will get you in deep enough to see what else has to be done.

New tires and wheel bearings is a foregone..

I don't know about the shaft / final drive on those things but I imagine they'll need

special attention and there's lots of Beemer info out there.

If your just looking to get it on the road ...just change the vital fluids,

give the running gear (forks, axles, wheels, brakes, bars etc.) a safety check, run it

(gingerly)and see what falls off, siezes up or leaks and fix it.

Have fun........ :)

I agree with Ouij and lean towards the "just get her on the road first" camp. Even "FREE" bikes soon become too expensive when you do tires, battery, brakes, solve the gummed fuel issue, first FIND the electrical issue, pay/fix the HOPEFULLY one issue, THEN see a real nice example of the same bike in the paper for $2750 OBO, and you haven't even got the money for PAINT yet :wacko: .... For you "Labor of Love"/Masochist types (been there, several times...), try "www.airheads.org", and good luck with 'er. They are pretty bullet proof, fun old bikes. Easy to work on, everything is just hanging out, alot like these, really. :thumbsup: S.H.

If the price was right one of the slash BMW's can be a good bike to take a chance on. The engines are solid and the things are built like tanks! I just bought a 78 R100/7 down in CT a month ago with a similar story, sat in a garagre for 6 years. Do check all the usual stuff tires etc should be replaced, and clean those bings before trying to get it started. Some issues to remember are rear wheel bearings and drive plate (check to see if the rear wheel wobbles badly) and clean the contacts on the starter relay up under the tank (they usually are dirty and give you fits). The stock mufflers can look good but rot right at the seam and develope holes on the bottom. If the bike has a Luftmeister or windjammer fairing on it (which it seems most do) and you want to remove it you will need to find front brackets for the directionals which are scarce and a bit pricey. i

Also if you pass on it send me the info and I may grab it! Joe let me know if you need some more info I am somewhat familiar with these and my son works at a BMW shop. PM me and I can send you my phone number.

Hal

Well they agreed on $2000 but I am not sure if he should go through with it. One fork leg seal is shot, and the front calipers are grabby. It turns over fine but I can see deposits on the back of the intake valves through the plug holes. Paint's faded somewhat, and the pipes do look good from the outside. It's clean and had only one owner. Does that seem like a fair price? He thinks this is a $5000 bike when running.

The owner says he got it running before putting it away and oiled and croiled it before putting it away. It does have a fairing and there are little brackets on the forks where the turn signals would go - there is a small box of the original parts, too. If he does buy it, we'll take that and the bags off, change the fluids, see about making everything work, then just ride it. It definitely needs tires and he'll need to have a mechanic look at the rear drive when he rebuilds the forks. It didn't have any noticible wobble when we turned the motor over with it, but I wasn't looking for any. I told him to expect to pay $600-800 for the forks, etc; is that about right? Anyone know a good BMW mechanic in the southeast connecticut area?

Thanks, Joe

Why don't you and your friend become BMW mechanics. get a service and parts manual , a good work stand and go to town. Anybody can tear something apart. The challenge is getting it ALL back together and in order. I saw a buddy put fork seals in a K100rs. I think it had Showa's. He unbolted the lowers and left the fork tubes in the triple trees.SLICK! IThis might work on this Beemer too.

They make pick-up trucks and cardboard boxes, if you get in over your heads.

If the price is right, I'd just see if it will start. The carbs will need a rebuild, and I'd be concerned about the tank inside, probably ready for a seal product. If the piston rings are not rusted to the cylinders, the engine will run for sure, they really are tough old engines. Start the thing and run it, and any seals that need doing will show themselves in due course, but be prepared to do the fork seals at the very least, and maybe the rear engine seal.

Steve

Joe

That seems a little high to me, as a comparison I paid $950 for the R100/7 i'm working on now and expect to sell it ready to ride for $3000. The bike runs good and is all original except for the dyna ignition (which is a good upgrade). I didn't do a whole lot other than clean it up and change the fluids, I will replace the rear wheel bearings and added a fresh battery. These bikes are simple as a stone to work on and very rugged, if its fully restored it may bring closer to $5000, but thats super nice condition. If you look close at those directional brackets they are cut off, thats what they did to put the fairings on. Not a huge deal but they list for $180 each but you can find them on ebay once in a while for 50-100 bucks a pair.

Hal