Newbie. High Mileage Guzzi?

Guest Bald Shaun

Guest Bald Shaun

Hello all. :nerd: I am new to this forum and looking for some help deciding on a 2001 V11 sport with 19,500 miles on the clock. I've done a search and read through threads regarding reliability. They mostly tackled teething issues on new or low mileage bikes. So what I'm wondering is, if there are any issues I need to be aware of when purchasing a higher mileage model? Or, is 20k even considered high mileage for a Moto Guzzi?

The bike in question is for sale online, but I haven't gotten to see in person yet. I'm currently deployed to Iraq with the National Gaurd, but we should be heading home really soon. So I plan on doing a test ride then. What do I need to look for?

I asked the owner about these recalls:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Moto-Guzzi-mot...port-recall.htm

He said he didn't know anything about them, but after nearly 20k miles if it was going to fail it should have done so long ago. The only problem he's reported having is bad relays early on, which he has replaced. Also upgraded the suspension, fore and aft, and aftermarket exhaust.

My motorcycling experience has been on Japanese sport bikes for the past 4-5 years but I want something that is more relaxed and classier for daily commuting, but still fun in the twisty roads north my Atlanta home. I have always loved the looks and sounds of Guzzis. Also, I don't mind doing regular maintenance, but I'm no mechanic. If major repairs or replacements are on the horizon, that could be a problem.

So what do you Gentlemen (and Ladies maybe?) think?

Thank you so much in advance.

Shaun

P.S. Does anyone know of a good Moto Guzzi mechanic in or near Atlanta?

19000........tee hee....it is to laugh.........

Your biggest concern is if it's teething is completed.

It may not be. Who knows what Guzzi gremlin is poised to ascend.

Buy it. Hang around here and Expect to get you nails dirty..preparing for

the next 60 or 80 thousand miles of care free motorcycling,

Don't think Ducati or Ninja......think Peterbuilt or Kenworth.

I can't believe your in Iraq...!!! wow......

Ya oughtta tell us about it sometime.

Be safe.

19000........tee hee....it is to laugh.........

Your biggest concern is if it's teething is completed.

It may not be. Who knows what Guzzi gremlin is poised to ascend.

Buy it. Hang around here and Expect to get you nails dirty..preparing for

the next 60 or 80 thousand miles of care free motorcycling,

Don't think Ducati or Ninja......think Peterbuilt or Kenworth.

I can't believe your in Iraq...!!! wow......

Ya oughtta tell us about it sometime.

Be safe.

I would agree. While Moto Guzzi can be accused in the past of purchasing ancilleries [guages, switches, etc] down to a price, their engines are quite robust. I was riding with a buddy today, him on his 850 Lemans with 140,000 miles, un-opened engine, and my '01 V11 with a paltry 44,000kms.

At that amount of use, the teething should have made itself evident by now. The big ones; You should verify if the free to customer general recall on the gearbox upgrade has been done, an issue with only a couple of bikes prompting a world wide recall on every V11 made from 2001 & earlier. Probably this one issue had a big hand in spelling the demise of Aprilia, the MG owners at the time. This is still a standing national govt. recall, and can be done at any dealer.

Other problems are really stupid little things; Aluminium oil cooler brackets cracking, upgrade available from 2002 are now steel. Sub standard Seimens micro relays working "lazy"!! Theft proof ignition switch bolts [2] falling out!! Vibration induced body work rubbing, primarily the rear of the fuel tank, which is not shimmed up enough, which in turn settles down on side covers, causing stress/weight induced cracks around side cover retaining screws. Improperly sealed speedometer angle drive [located at gearbox] will eject it's contents [the all important mini- helical gears] onto the side of the road when riding. Replaced with a 2002 or later item, no problem. Vibration induced cracks on cosmetic starter cover. Vibration/use caused failures of Veglia Speedometer. This is not an absolute, as many are trouble free.

Well, I could think of more, but I'd have to look at my service notes. Just to say that these things all made themselves aparent very soon, and there have been no issues at all in 5 yrs/30,000kms.

Steve

guzzi is like BMW in that they can go for 200,000 miles or MORE with little more than TLC and wear item replacements like tires, brakes and by then a clutch(maybe two) BUT the engine and tranny are so over built you can easily rack up half a million miles, probably need all new everything by then but the basic compenents would be the same the only thing to end a guzzi V11 series early seems to be oil starvation so get a sloppage plate from pete or just overfill the oil and make sure its topped off from time to time and the general concensus is that it takes 10-15 thousand miles before the engine is properly set in and ready for anything(often times as a owner you will be by then as well)

some say a 100,000 on a guzzi is low milage :lol:

as for a guzzi mechanic anyone, and I mean virtually anyone (outside of the ECU) can work on these things, they are very simple in overall design aided with the cylinders sticking out at you buy one love it and ride it, I know I'll miss mine when its gone but I'll be back on a guzzi before too long but check into your local BMW shop if youre at a complete loss they often know enough to get a job done

Hi Shaun,

I was in your shoes back in Dec. I went for it, and despite some initial investment in sorting some things out, I would still do it again. I paid $4,800 for mine. Immediately, it needed new tires....then the speedo went, engine needed some fine tuning, then the speedo cable went.....about $1,000 dollars later of which I anticipated, the bike runs beautifully...I love it more and more every day. You will too.... :wub:

Mine is a V11sport, naked '01, had 14,400 miles on it when I bought it. You can use the serial number on the bike to check if the recall was done. The local Guzzi dealer checked it out for me. It was done on mine. Harper's would probably also check for you.

Be safe, make it back in one piece and buy the bike...you won't regret it.

Nancy

Dont be shy that isnt a lot of miles. The only reason you shouldnt buy that bike is if you dont have the cash for the little problems here or there. If money is not an issue jump all over that bike you wont be dissapointed.

Good luck

Brent

I have approximately 23000 miles on my Ballabio at this point. I say approximately because my odometer packed it in last fall. :lol: My Ballabio runs better and stronger today than it did when I bought it with 7500.

If it's anything like my project bike, I expect a lot of miles. My project bike engine has 74000 miles, doesn't burn a drop of oil, runs strong and was remarkably clean inside when I disassembled the top end to replace a leaky head/base gasket and remove the Bub sump.

19,500 high mileage!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

When I wrecked out my little hot rod Tonti it was like Grandfather's Axe but at over 750,000 miles it had never failed to get me home, (Although it was a close run thing on a couple of occasions!)

If you want advice in Atlanta try looking in the member profiles for Bill Hagan and PM him or try asking for him on Wildguzzi. He's sold his V11 and rides a Norge now so I don't think he visits here often but Bill is in Atlanta and is ex-army, served in GW1 I believe so you'll get a great welcome from him and lots of useful advice about who, where and why in Atlanta.

Pete

Guest Bald Shaun

Thanks for the feedback! I'm getting pretty excited about this bike. I hope it isn't sold before I'm able to check it out :o

We're in Kuwait now, awaiting the big bird home. Shouldn't be much longer.

Fingers Crossed.

19,500 high mileage!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

When I wrecked out my little hot rod Tonti it was like Grandfather's Axe but at over 750,000 miles it had never failed to get me home, (Although it was a close run thing on a couple of occasions!)

If you want advice in Atlanta try looking in the member profiles for Bill Hagan and PM him or try asking for him on Wildguzzi. He's sold his V11 and rides a Norge now so I don't think he visits here often but Bill is in Atlanta and is ex-army, served in GW1 I believe so you'll get a great welcome from him and lots of useful advice about who, where and why in Atlanta.

Pete

Have a safe trip home.

:bier: