V11 Ti Ecu 04- Micha method+others

v11cafe

4/All methods and manuals accept 0 angle tps value is 150mv+-15mv(...closer you are the better),

everything disconnected

The Micha method ignores and overrides the 150mV. (this is apparently helpful on SOME bikes)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found another good topic

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...=2410&st=15

which if I have read it earlier,...it would have saved me a lot of ....tuning experiments,

because it confirms many of my remarks.

Jeff does a fantastic job of making sense there, but it is a difficult procedure and requires an understanding of his last post there.

Two things that I would like to make better sense of, are why do some bikes not work with 150mV, and what is the ideal rpm to balance at.

As I slowly rev the engine, my bike does something like this: balanced at idle, unbalances to left, balances at about 2000 rpm, unbalances to right, and balances at about 3000 rpm. I need to make a more exact analysis.

Since the last tune up there has been increasing popping at about 2500 rpm, so maybe it needs balancing there, rather than at 2000 or 3000rpm, or maybe it is slipping off.

I need to get it right before taking a road trip to the international rally this coming week!!!

If you speak three languages you are multilingual, if you speak two languages you are bilingual, if you speak one language you are American

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry , have been on the road last ten days at the 2008 Fiva Slovenian classic rally...

V7 special was happy to ...eat 2500 km through Greece...ferry to Ancona...Italy, Slovenia..and back,

and :lol: although riding a bike 38 y old, I was placed at modern bikes category,...no place for a V11... there.

The Micha method ignores and overrides the 150mV. (this is apparently helpful on SOME bikes)

Micha method presumes that since you take your bike to...him, you haven't played with the potentiometer,

so a throttle balancing is all that the bike ...needs.

I suppose that if end result is not good, he checks everything from the beggining ,,,,,150mv +- ...etc.

Even perfectionists...don't go from the beginning every time they want to check throttle body balance,

especially if you follow a category method using both LITS and RITS.

Jeff does a fantastic job of making sense there, but it is a difficult procedure and requires an understanding of his last post there.

Two things that I would like to make better sense of, are why do some bikes not work with 150mV, and what is the ideal rpm to balance at.

As I slowly rev the engine, my bike does something like this: balanced at idle, unbalances to left, balances at about 2000 rpm, unbalances to right, and balances at about 3000 rpm. I need to make a more exact analysis.

Since the last tune up there has been increasing popping at about 2500 rpm, so maybe it needs balancing there, rather than at 2000 or 3000rpm, or maybe it is slipping off.

I need to get it right before taking a road trip to the international rally this coming week!!!

V11 weber injection system reads zero angle at 150mv+-15 mv....so ecu reads that throttle is fully closed...and fuel map and timing

map zero at that point also.

Now why some bikes don't like it...I would like to have more info about bikes that don't like 150mv

stock ecu???, pipes???, airbox??? power comm???

what makes these bikes run OK , higher value +50mv????...or lower?????

My guess...

wrong tps value used for the specific bike ecu, wrong throttle balance,... etc

Guzzi proposes for 2000-2002 V11 550mv Key on /eng off ,...add 10-15 mv for idle tps

2003+ .....465 mv ...+ 10-15 mv at idle.( I found out that it needed even more 490mv -500mv, if you follow the axiom

to open the bypasses until one turn out).

Since I am not much a theory man, there is a practical way to check what the problem is with a " don't like 150mv" bike.

1/Have a 10 minute ride to warm up the engine.

2/Decide what method you would follow cat...or

3/Disconnect everything and set zero angle by moving the potentiometer at 150mv key on/ eng off

4/Key on/ eng off , set tps value ...say 550mv for 2000-2002....470mv for 2003++++

5/Close bypasses(clockwise), start the engine and check idle....if lower than 900-1000rpm.

increase tps at idle (different procedure for cat and methods),...if higher than 900-1000rp

decrease tps idle

6/Balance throttle bodies at part throttle(2000-3000prm)

7/open bypasses no more than 1 turn out , to get at 1100-1150 rpm, checking balance at idle.

8/If all OK, turn off engine,...key on eng off and read with voltmeter tps value...that is the number that your bike ....

"Loves" :wub:

Nothing wrong if it's a little different than other V11.

Now throttle balance...if you use twinmax like I suspect you do(...me also), at full sensitivity ....you said it

"... balanced at idle, unbalances to left, balances at about 2000 rpm,

unbalances to right, and balances at about 3000 rpm."

Same happens to me,...but at three quarter sensitivity you see that balance is 100%, from idle to....>>>>>>>

so maybe twinmax is very sensitive to minor imbalances that are not important...

a guzzi is not that sensitive :grin:

I usually balance the bike at full sensitivity with steady throttle( using choke lever),

and then at three quarter sensitivity, I check balance slowly revving the engine up to 3000 rpm....

Poor man.... tuner tools

1/Don't know why but V11 behaves better tuning it on center stand....doesn't like side stand

Third wheel from old office chair...saw it somewhere in the forum ...good idea

2/Polymeter...including Voltmeter

3/Twinmax....or any throttle balancer

4/Simple 2.5mm hex key for LITS

5/Connection of two outer tps wires to voltmeter

6/7/tool...for RITS if following cat method

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00166.jpg

DSC00172.jpg

DSC00170.jpg

DSC00167.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

2/Polymeter...including Voltmeter

I believe that in most English speaking countries we call it a multimeter, not polymeter.

Of course poly and multi mean essentially the same thing.

Here is a definition of polymeter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meter_(music)#Polymeter

and multimeter:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/multimeter

By the way, nice photos!