97 Sporti

Lamedog

With my '02 LeMans pretty well sorted, I've been looking for another money pit. Higher horsepower has been appealing, but outside Aprilla, nothing floats my boat in recent offerings. So up truns a '97 Sporti for what looks like a fair price and comes pretty well sorted. Regretably it has "pillion butt". Open to opinions Pro and Con as well as possible sources for pillion seat cover..... (yes, I will search this site to turf up helical vs square-cut, but its been quiet on the forum lately...._

I've never seen a pillion seat cover ready to buy off the shelf. I've been thinking of making one but I'll probably never get around to that. I saw a Sporti with red-painted seat and actually that may be an option for me, if I can find a perfect colour match and suitable type of paint.

Straight cut is noisy but racy :helmet:

I recently learned that V11's six-speed box have straight cut gears. The construction is different in a couple of ways so apparently you don't hear it.

Don't forget to get rid of the rear fender :oldgit:

If you mean get rid of the pillion pad, then:

I believe Moto International used to have a cover that was a direct replacement for the pillion pad and attached in the same way. It's been a decade since I've seen one, though.

Pro Italia made a really nice solo tail that replaced, yet perfectly matched the OEM piece. They are rare and pricey. Last one I saw on Ebay went for over $600. They made a few of them ten years ago.

You're going to find that bling and farkles for the Sport 1100 are few and far between. Might be easier to cover your pillion pad with red vinyl like Ducati has done, or have a local fiberglass place make something for you...

With my '02 LeMans pretty well sorted, I've been looking for another money pit. Higher horsepower has been appealing, but outside Aprilla, nothing floats my boat in recent offerings. So up truns a '97 Sporti for what looks like a fair price and comes pretty well sorted. Regretably it has "pillion butt". Open to opinions Pro and Con as well as possible sources for pillion seat cover..... (yes, I will search this site to turf up helical vs square-cut, but its been quiet on the forum lately...._

I have both a V11 and a 1100i Sport. Both are very good in their own right. The Sport feels more aggressive and has more in the upper revs. It requires a little more "persuasion" into corners due to the narrower bars, but is a very rewarding ride. If I am going for a short distance, less than 120 mile, fun ride, I will take the 1100. If I'm going for long distance with some fun on both the ride there and at each end, then I'll use the V11. As for the seat cover, why bother, I just both recovered with a good material and the bike looks the better for it. My advice would be take it for a test ride and have your chequebook handy!!!