New tank installation question

ptrkbeam

Hello,

Did a search for tank subjects and I believe I found my answer but just making sure:

Bought a new fuel tank via the MGNOC classifieds. Thanks again, Mark. :)

Can someone recommend a brand of fuel resistant sealant to use between my new tank and the petcock and pressure regulator?

I was tempted to leave it off - there is barely more than a speck of the stuff on the old tank - but I better put some on there.

BYW, I tried a test fitting with all the tank parts installed - the new tank slides on and off the bike so much easier than the old one. Doesn't rest near as close to the fairing brackets on the cylinder heads either. Must've expanded over the years, like other folks have mentioned their tanks doing. :unsure:

Thanks,

Patrick

You can purchase a liquid pipe thread sealant fron an automotive parts store IF you are talking about sealing those threads?

I assume that your pump is on the frame rail. The best sealant is a teflon thread sealant is available is at an automotive parts store. I guess that you are using it on pipe threads?

No, there is a small dab of non hardening goo between the petcock and the tank, and between the regulator and the tank. Not sure exactly what it is but it does not harden like silicone does.

Well, I guess I'll need something on the screw threads, too! Thanks.

I'm referring to the surface between the bottom of the tank and the top surface of both the petcock and regulator.

There is a very light coating of some reddish grease, still smearable (?) on the surface.

There is no need for a liquid sealer in this place.

These parts are fixed with left/right threaded nuts and sealed by a ring seal made of plastic material. There is no need to seal the threads as the ring gasket seals the connection.

Fuel petcocks on earlier carb Guzzis were fixed the same way. They never used any sealing compound at this place.

There is no need for a liquid sealer in this place.

These parts are fixed with left/right threaded nuts and sealed by a ring seal made of plastic material. There is no need to seal the threads as the ring gasket seals the connection.

Fuel petcocks on earlier carb Guzzis were fixed the same way. They never used any sealing compound at this place.

I've heard of various points on our bikes coming form the factory not being greased or lubed where it is needed.

So maybe some come with bits of goop where it's not needed? :)