SCURA WONT START AGAIN ,ANY HELP ,,PLEASE

GED 01

spot on ,,,,maybe im getting paranoid,or maybe its a case of ignorance is bliss syndrome,but to be honest after i re crimped the wire last february the bike been great ,until the old girl had a hard time at the fuel protest 26 miles doing no more than 10mph it was a hot day ,left to idle for 10min twice,she just wouldnt start after that unless bumped,and it took a day for the bike to get over it,it now seems [fingers crossed]its starting fine,and awaiting another 250 mile blast round the north yorkshire moors,

as long as the guzz stays as it is,[starting]im not allowing myself to worry,if the starting issue becomes a regular occurance again as it was b4 i fitted the new parts,then i will worry,

Sounds like she made a little 'fuel protest' of her own. ^_^

lol yeh sounds about right doc,to be honest ive been to the bike several times today and its starting brilliantly.just havnt got a clue what went wrong ,other than what was suggested about the starter over heating,bloody guzzi it has more mood swings than the ex wife :huh:

I may have missed it but has anyone suggested an earthing issue ?

It is easy to add an earth strap between the engine/gearbox case and the battery -ve terminal, as you seem to have replaced all the other suspects it could just be as simple as that ?

I may have missed it but has anyone suggested an earthing issue ?

It is easy to add an earth strap between the engine/gearbox case and the battery -ve terminal, as you seem to have replaced all the other suspects it could just be as simple as that ?

the existing earth strap is bob on one of the thing i checked b4.although if it goes wrong again its somthing i shall try,cheers

ive tried 4 batteries and done every test possible and its not that

yes i have the old starter

and i have rocked it in gear to no avail,although it will bump start no problem,

as i said b4 ive read through all my old posts and there is a pettern of events,ie,the bike wont start ,fit a new battery and it starts ,it wont start,fit a new starter ,it starts,it wont start,re crimped a new connector on the small wire going to the starter ,it now starts ,and the bikes beeen fine sine last february,until now

Pretty frustrating.

You have done every test possible for the battery, the charging system and the wiring?

If so, then your bike is simply cursed and you should trade it in for a Tenni :P

Is the charging system putting out between 14.0 and 14.6Volts?

If less than 14V, it is possible that the battery is not getting charged adequately, whether new or not.

After failing to start, the battery should show 12.7 or more Volts. If not, the problem could be the charging system. 12.6V SHOULD start it if all is optimal, but could still indicate a problem. 12.5V or lower, more likely indicates a problem with battery or charging. None of those numbers are accurate indicators that it should or should not start, but the volt reading could provide a clue.

When you click the starter, and it won't start, there are some tests you can do.

If you have automotive jumper cables you can create a more direct ground path from battery to starter.

It may be possible to neglect to connect one of the ground cables to the battery, and for everything to work.

Likewise you create a more direct path using jumper cables for the positive wire, but don't short it out.

I like to put expensive silver conductive paste on my connections.

Not sure where the ground wires ground, but that would be a good place to clean and protect the connections.

If all your relays are 5 pin, you could try swapping them around to see if it starts.

checking the chage system is somthing i will have to check,next weekend probably,as for your other recommendations ive done them,and the conclusion was the engine rotates and better when conecting the battery direct to the starter,rather than using the button,useing the latter it either didnt start or was slow to rotate,

but the plot thickens,i did the valves this morning,everything went to plan,until i came to start it,no neutral light ,but the bike started brilliantly,ticking over a lot better and less vibey,i put the side stand down and the engine cut out,its not supposed to do that ,its only supposed to cut out when you put it in gear ,and the wire that attaches to the neutral sensor also joins the small one which fits onto the starter motor,this was the wire i found to be slightly loose ,to which i tightened and i have had no trouble since february,till last thursday

i feel i have 3 causes,the battery was slightly down 12.3volts,i think it took a hammering at the fuel protest constant beeping and headlights on @10mph not getting much of a charge up,

very hot engine, may of played a part ,concerning the starter as mentioned previously,or generally causing havoc with the electrics somehow,im not sure

and it seems as though the small black wire which i think runs from the ignition switch to starter to neutral sender may be loose somewhere