Update on my 03 sputtering

Guest Petev11

Guest Petev11

Just thought I would let everyone know what happend with my bike. Thank you all for your replies!

After test driving the bike for 2 hours and it having only a slight backfire on deceleration, I bought it.

I drove it home another 2 hours, and the bike ran great, still just the slight coughing.

The next day, I wanted to check everything out, see this awesome bike I had just bought. I noticed the idle was a bit low, so I thought I would turn it up a bit. Well............................. I turned the LITTLE WHITE KNOB! :doh: Hence, throwing my throttle bodies out. I am figuring this is what is causing the severe coughing and sputtering.

I tried to readjust it by turning it all the way in and slowly turn it back to where I thought it was originally. But, NOPE didn't work! lol

I am now taking it to a mechanic to have a complete tune up in hopes of correcting what I have done.

Will this help get rid of the problem or did I totally destroy the bike? I did ride it a bit after I had turned the white knob. Will this ruin anything?

I have learned one major lesson on my awesome new bike...

NEVER TOUCH THE WHITE KNOB and leave mechanical work to the professionals! :homer:

Guest Petev11
You wil never fix (or f**k it up) anything with that attitude! Does it have a PowerCommander (or any) module on the bike?

yes it has a teclusion module the bike only has 13000 km

Guest Petev11
Take the module out of circuit and see if it still acts up. If it clears up , the module needs to be remapped.

thanks for the tip, so are you saying because i threw the tb out of wack , it threw out the modules settings?

so should i still do a complete tune up, and were can i get a shop manual for this bike [ 2003 v11 lemans ]?

thanks for your help!

Tee hee hee......Ha!

The little white knob!!!

It's not at all little...

It's like a sillcock spigot.

It's job is as complicated as adjusting the elevation of your headlight.

There are many out there with headlight adjusting PHDs that will

take good care of you....and charge you accordingly.

It probably needs to go on a dyno...... :not: ....If you want it done

really right. So you can beat a Hyabusa...or win a GP :not: .........HA!!!!!

really......think about it...it's only a matter of having your butterflies open harmoniously...

it might be a little outside your comfort zone

so have an experienced mech. balance them but don't let them flim flam you.

If it stumbles around 3800 rpms after you paid :vomit: to have them adjusted

tell your mechanic I say he's a poser. :mg::rolleyes::homer::grin:

I cured my bikes ills by balancing the TB's with a Twinmax gauge, setting the TPS with a voltmeter and last, but not least installing a My15M ECU. It runs great now. I didn't have much luck with a Power Commander, as much as I tried. I had it "tuned" by two different shops to no avail. There's info on this forum that covers throttle body balancing pretty extensively. As Ouiji stated the white knob is for syncing the butterflies. If I remember correctly I disconnected the linkage to the left side TB and set the stop screw for the butterfly on the right side first, then I connected the linkage and balanced the TB's with the white knob while observing the Twinmax gauge reading. Once it is set it should hold its adjustment for quite a long time. Also, if my memory serves me correctly I checked the TPS voltage after setting the stop screw on the right side TB because it will change if the butterfly is in a different position. After that it became a matter of tweaking the map. After a couple shakedown runs I asked Cliff if he could send me a fatter (richer) map with a bumped mid-range. The map he sent me was richened a little across the board and richened a little more in the mid-range. Now it runs better than ever. Even when it was stock it would sputter and sometimes die pulling up to a stop, and it would always stumble a bit through the mid-range also. The addition of an X-pipe, Staintunes and open lid air filter pretty much necessitated a major tweaking of the fuel injection system. Now that its all sorted out the bike runs like a dream.