04 exhaust issues

dangerous

Hey all, ok the bloody balance pipe that crosses over under mag on a 04 V11... for the life of me I cant stop it leaking in fact its that loose it swings in the breeze.

So I was thinking of replacing the headers with a diferent modle which dosent have the cross over, can this be done and will it cause any issues.

Also, were is the best (cheapest) place to get new headers from?

Or any other ideas on a fix would be great thanks.

DSC02254.JPG

Can be done for sure. I think RacerX sells replacement head pipe that don't have the balance pipe and are higher quality then the stock Guzzi stuff. Fuel mapping may be slightly off but if you have a power commander that's easy enough to fix. May not be enough to worry about though. Could even be better.

Guest frankdugo

if you don't care about keeping the pipes original,a local welder should be able to close them up.

Didnt a forum member run off a batch of shims to cure this problem? I'm sure that I remember they were well liked by those that bought them. Since my bike doesnt have the middle pipe I never needed them, but I'm sure there are more than a few here that can add the right information on them.

Didnt a forum member run off a batch of shims to cure this problem? I'm sure that I remember they were well liked by those that bought them. Since my bike doesnt have the middle pipe I never needed them, but I'm sure there are more than a few here that can add the right information on them.

yes please, whos got more info?

Or you could try what Greg Field passed along here a while back. Said it is "the shit", or something to that effect... <_>

1. Loosen entire exhaust system.

2. Put in a brand new set of crossover gaskets

3. With both pipes still loose at the heads, pull the 2 exhaust pipes together with a ratcheting tie down till the crossover is sandwiched snuggly between the two pipes, and tighten the two crossover clamps.

4. Now re-tighten the rest of the exhaust system.

I heard the shims were $100.00+/-, and not always effective over time, but that is not from any personal experience, just what I've read here over time.

Don't know what the stock crossover gaskets run, but the above method sounds like the most simple, and least expensive to boot, a WINNER in my book!

Keep us informed of your progress. I'll need to do this in the future :lol:

NEROS ROCK! Good Luck, S.H.

yes please, whos got more info?

The original thread is here:

Exhaust Shims

I bought a set and still have them in, going on 2 or 3 years now. There is a small spot of exhaust residue where the shims split, but the cross over has stayed tight all along.

I recall another run of the shims was made, a search of the topics will turn up the latest.

When i first bought my bike i noticed they were loose and asked the dealer to tighten them up (which they did) checked it when it was delivered, all nice and tight, then i started the bike up and they were immediately loose. I then loosened all the exhaust bolts tightened up the crossover and tightened the rest of the system, its never moved a millimetre since. But i do think i have a set of shims somewhere in the garage, nothing like a healthy dose of guzzi paranoia :D

Gary :mg: