V11 will not charge

Bbennett

Thanks for any advice on this: *added: 2001 V11 sport red frame - 20K miles*

Recent history:

1. Rough spot at 2600rpm noted. This is probably not relevant but I note it for completeness as this bike has never had a rough spot there.

2. Removed wiring leads (used for winter jacket) from battery (newish Oddyssey..no history of problems). Bike starts fine.

2. Bike just clicks when I try to start it. Bump start.

3. I check battery terminals (they are tight) and connections (seem OK) - but I "arc" to the capacitor in the process.

4. Put battery on trickle charge.

5. Next day. the bike starts perfectly. Bike fails to start at next start = 8 miles away. I bump start. Bike starts normally the rest of the day on 200 mile trip running at high speed. As I re=enter town and RPM's fall, the bike runs poorly at low RPM and the rough spot is very pronounced now.

6. Bike starts the next day. Hot weather. Low speed driving. Bike is hot and running very very(!) roughly at low RPM or under any load. Feels like I am running out of fuel. Bike fails to start twice. 2 bump starts. Tach dies. Bike is running very rough and then dies. I discover the light fuse is burnt out (4th fuse from rear). I switch the two front relays around and replace fuse with correct 20 amp. Bump start. Light and tach now operating normally. Bike is running very very rough. Battery is low, signals barely work.

9. I get back to my garage. Bike will not turn over after being turned off. I put it on trickle charge until it gets to 11.93 volts.

10. Maybe it is out of fuel (fuel light did not come on) or fuel is bad. I get to gas station and fill up with 92 Octane. Bike barely starts. But the roughness at low RPM and under load is gone. The rough spot at 2800 RPM remains. I get home. Bike will not turn over, only the rapid clicking sound. Voltage from a 3 mile trip has dropped to 11.73. volts.

What might be wrong?

Thanks,

Bob

I think you need to charge the battery up to near 12.5 volts, start the bike and put a volt meter on the battery to see if it's charging. I don't know what the charge rate is but it's been posted many times before. Above 13.5v at 2000rpm maybe? If the bike is charging your battery is probably be bad. Pull it out and bring it to an auto parts store that will test it for free. If it's not charging you need to check the 3 yellow wires from alternator. Again, the expected output has been posted here before. Remember that the alternator output is AC, not DC when you test. If the alternator is working correctly chances are your regulator died. Replacement regulators are available for about $130 from Euro Moto Electric on their website or on ebay.

I had the same thing going last summer and finally traced the source of the problems to near-gone rear light bulb (of all things) which caused a short circuit.

According to local Ducce engineer its not uncommon on Italobikes.