Right cylinder DEAD......

raceboy

Newbie Needs Help.....

Just picked up a 2004 V11 with 7000 miles, great shape, very clean. I've only ridden the bike for 3 days and Right Cylinder just cut out without any notice at all. It supttered once or twice but that was it. I was afraid to bring up the RPM to see if the Cylinder would fire. Limped it home about 1/2 mile or so.

There is spark when grounding the plug against the head. The plug was moist with fuel and sooty. The smell of fuel is strong so I'm assuming the injector is firing when I crank the starter.

Checked under the tank and around the motor for any disconnected / loose hoses, lines, electrical connections, all seems to be in place and connected. I'm guessing this is a sensor / electronic part failure somewhere.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers all,

John

Guest ONETHUMPER

Does it have pods or stock intake system? I have pods and the fuel pressure regulator line was leaking soaking the pod and causing the right cylinder to get to rich and quit.

Does it have pods or stock intake system? I have pods and the fuel pressure regulator line was leaking soaking the pod and causing the right cylinder to get to rich and quit.

The bike is completely stock, no mods of any kind to the motor.

John

Guest ratchethack
The bike is completely stock, no mods of any kind to the motor.

John

John, you've thrown the Forum another toughie here, unless there's more to the story? Of the Big 3 necessary to run (spark, fuel, and compression) it looks like you've ID'd 2 of the 3, and I'm assuming the compression is good also. If it's throwing a big, fat, blue spark every other rotation (best checked in the dark), there's no reason it won't at least fire, especially as long as the left cylinder is firing. I'd focus on the quality of the spark on the right cylinder. If it's at all weak, I'm thinkin' coil going out. . .

There are no sensors, nor fuses, relays, nor would the ECU cause one cylinder to just die and not the other, and an injector that makes the plug wet as you described hasn't suddenly plugged-up, nor lost it's signal. Sorry, that's about all I got. . . :huh2:

This may seem like a long shot but have you looked at the rubber throttle body intake sleeve? It could have slipped off causing the problem you describe. If its not that I'll have to think on it some more

When you say that you can smell fuel strongly it sounds like the sleeve jumped off & the fuel could be not getting into the head..

Sounds like a stuck injector. They can stick open or stick shut. Yours may be stuck open. If you swap the injectors and the problem moves with the injector, that's it.

Some good ideas to get me going.

Possibility of a stuck open injector - good point. What is the best way to check that??

Although I did see spark when I checked, the quality of spark maybe questionable. More investigation is needed.

Is there an electrical measurement of the coil (resistance) that would give an indication of a failing coil. Although I see the spark out in the open, it is quite possible that within the confines & pressures of the combustion chamber the spark is to weak to light the mixture.

I'll report back in a few days, I have to move the bike to a more suitable place to do work.

Keep the ideas and suggestions coming coming.

Thanks again,

John

You can buy a spark tester at an auto parts store.It will look like a spark plug with an alligator clip. There is no visible ground or center electrode. This to cause a "test" of the coil to jump this distance for a good spark. If there is no spark, you probably have a bad ign. coil.

seems to me if theres spark and gas there should be fire... could you have a bad connection where the plug cap screws into the HT lead from the coil? is it seated into the coil well?

Keep the ideas and suggestions coming coming.

Thanks again,

John

From your first post I gather that you pulled the plug and held it against the head so you saw spark at the plug electrode, yes? That would rule out anything in the wire or cap. I'd lean towards the too much fuel idea. You have spark, you probably didn't lose compression without hearing any horrible noises. Black & sooty plug is either weak spark or too much fuel. Is the other plug black also? If one side is clean I would rule out any sensor or electrical fuel control issue. A drippy injector is far more common than a weak coil. Pull the hose from the port on the manifold and see if gas drips out. You can also pull the injector from the manifold. Cycle the key on and see of it sprays fuel. There should be no fuel with key on & engine off and pulsing spray when cranking. Cut the top off of a plastic coke bottle and use it to catch the gas. Be careful with gas and spark! :homer:

If the injector is leaking it is probably not bad but just has deposits making it stick. A good quality cleaner in the fuel may help unstick.

If you get to the bottom of all of this be sure to check the oil. A leaking injector can wash past the rings and contaminate the oil with fuel.

:2c:

simple tests first.

Unscrew plug caps on both sides from cable. (if you have the stock NGK type that screws onto the cable that is)

Cut half an inch off the cable, screw plug cap back on. It sure helped me.....

Vibes may make bad connection worse when engine runs.

Its usually the simple things...