Rear Wheel Left Side Bearing Exposed

tmcafe

Checking my rear caliper, I was looking at the sealed bearing right next to the caliper bracket. Sure it's sealed, but wondering if being exposed to so much road dirt doesn't affect it at all. AFAIK, there's also nothing between the alu caliper bracket and this bearing (the only large washer is under axle nut, the other end protects the needle bearing). Did any anybody think of somehow protecting the bearing other than keeping its surface reasonably clean?

Checking my rear caliper, I was looking at the sealed bearing right next to the caliper bracket. Sure it's sealed, but wondering if being exposed to so much road dirt doesn't affect it at all. AFAIK, there's also nothing between the alu caliper bracket and this bearing (the only large washer is under axle nut, the other end protects the needle bearing). Did any anybody think of somehow protecting the bearing other than keeping its surface reasonably clean?

I make it a habit of checking that bearing (all wheel bearings) every time I change the tire. That left side rear bearing is prone to failure. I was left stranded in Ozark when I noticed the bike was handling funny (wobbly in corners). I looked down and could see the steel balls some missing inside the dry races. The outside seal was completely gone! :o

D

I make it a habit of checking that bearing (all wheel bearings) every time I change the tire. That left side rear bearing is prone to failure. I was left stranded in Ozark when I noticed the bike was handling funny (wobbly in corners). I looked down and could see the steel balls some missing inside the dry races. The outside seal was completely gone! :o

D

Crap! Probably a good idea to keep an eye on that seal and keep it clean. If it's exposed, at least it's easy to check.