CLEANING UP GROUNDS

Guest ONETHUMPER

Guest ONETHUMPER

I have the tank off of the bike, poking around cant find where the other grounding points are. I put a new voltage regulator on the bike still high voltage to the battery. Unplugged the head light then the voltage dropped to 14.1V. So if someone could point me in the right direction as to where the other grounding points are I should be able to get it back on the road. thanks

All of the components are grounded back through the harness to the stack of terminals on the battery. The ECU case has an external ground under the seat. The primary ground is the negative battery cable to the right side of the gearbox where it mounts to the engine.

Since most of the grounding is through the harness, all of the connectors become critical. While you have the tank off, clean and apply copper or silver antiseize paste to connectors being careful not to bridge between contacts.

Some riders have found it beneficial to add a frame to engine ground strap and separate grounds from headlamps or horns.

Some riders have found it beneficial to add a frame to engine ground strap and separate grounds fro headlamps or horns.

:thumbsup:

I recommend the engine to frame ground. Also suggest searching for the headlight relay fix, and lastly I run a small bridge between the instrument light grounds and the instrument cases. Bright lights and gauges ARE possible!

Guest ONETHUMPER

Thanks, I had read after doing a search that somewhere 4 wires were on one frame grounding point and I could not find it. I cleaned up all conectors and ran a ground from the regulator to motor and now the volt readings are in spec. So I did a few things at once so not sure what fixed it but all is good ......for now.