Tank Dimples

Guest parvo

Guest parvo

I have an 04 Ballabio and I noticed this morning that my tank has developed four convex tank "dimples." I can see them and feel them with my hand. I have two on each side and they are towards the rear of the tank in the leg cutouts. Is that a common V11 problem, will they get worse? My bike has low mileage and has never been down.

Thanks.

Guest frankdugo

i have heard of it .here on this forum if you search you'll find something. don't know if the tanks were hand laid-up with reinforcement or injected mold.with hand-laid it could be a air gap of no resin or heat generation from improper mixture/mixing.another possibilty is the over flow check valve on the fuel tank.the early models were notorious for this.your's might be keeping pressure in. i would disconnect the vents [one from the gas cap & the check from under the tank]for awhile and hope the tank resumes it's normal shape.

Guest parvo
i have heard of it .here on this forum if you search you'll find something. don't know if the tanks were hand laid-up with reinforcement or injected mold.with hand-laid it could be a air gap of no resin or heat generation from improper mixture/mixing.another possibilty is the over flow check valve on the fuel tank.the early models were notorious for this.your's might be keeping pressure in. i would disconnect the vents [one from the gas cap & the check from under the tank]for awhile and hope the tank resumes it's normal shape.

Thanks, How do I disconnect those?

I have an 04 Ballabio and I noticed this morning that my tank has developed four convex tank "dimples." I can see them and feel them with my hand. I have two on each side and they are towards the rear of the tank in the leg cutouts. Is that a common V11 problem, will they get worse? My bike has low mileage and has never been down.

Thanks.

Nah, Parvo is just sitting up on the tank. Twice evidently. Try sitting on the seat, man and you won't dent your tank!

Guest frankdugo

well,you have to take the tank off the frame. download a shop manual from 'this old tractor.com' oh yeah!---join mgnoc

Guest frankdugo

thanks for the info sam--todd.wondered what the tanks were made of .nylon explain's why there is no damage with expansion&contraction of ''tank suck''.---that sucks about the ethanol.

Ethanol Fuel - What's the dangers?

Simply put, ethanol is an excellent SOLVENT (dissolves plastic, rubber, fiberglass and more), and unlike MTBE ethanol will ABSORB WATER, which can cause serious problems to some engines.

This is from MPH Cycles

Yep its ethanol, it may get worse, most dont.

This isnt a Guzzi specific problem and its been flogged around here many times.

The Nylon material is not made in layers, the bubbling happens due to plastic absorbing and reacting to ETOH.

Every Multistrada on the road has had its tank replaced, then the new one did it again.

Do a search on this site for ethanol related threads, but there isnt anything you can do about the tank.

MPH Cycles

16510 Park Row

Houston, Texas 77084

Sam

I don't know where this came from but the Multistrada part is, to be kind, wrong.

My 2005 Multistrada never had the tank replaced and it never had a problem with the paint on the tank in 12,000 miles and two years. I was a member of Multistrada.net for over two years and I don't recall ever hearing a single report of a tank bubbling. I'm not saying there couldn't a been a few problems I missed or forgot about but I can say for sure it isn't anywhere near common, much less "every bike has had its tank replaced".

Lex

It was reply from MPH. Do you have Ethanol Fuel in your area?

Sam

First, yes we have alcohol in our gas. I live in California, we are lucky we aren't getting fuel made from banana peels and fairy dust. ;)

Second, the Multistrada.net forum is primarily US oriented but is international in scope. If people were having problem in any part of the US or most of the world it would have been a major topic.

Finally, I'm talking about the up to 10% alcohol/ 90% petroleum fuel common on the US. Anybody dumb enough to put something like "E85" (85% alcohol/ 15% gasoline) in any vehicle not specifically designed to use alcohol fuel is on his/ her own. :doh:

Lex