2004 V11 exhaust......

raceboy

Hello All,

Does anyone on this site have installed a Moto Guzzi factory Ti Exhaust system that also came with the ECU and new hangers?? Is this a full system from the heads or is it just the cans??? How well does it work??

Is there any other suggestions for race / performance exhuast system??

I see many members use the Stucci or Mistral X-over and what ever cans the like. If I go this road is there any header pipes that can or should be used to work with the X-overs??

Any other Exhaust system (race or otherwise) suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2004 V11 without the O2 sensor.

Cheers boys & girls,

Raceboy

Hey raceboy, I don't have any experience with the MG Ti set up, but I do have alot of mod's in line with what you're considering. There are some with the set up you are considering, and they will be here soon, no doubt. This is a great and helpful group/site.The biggest issue with the actual exhaust headers isn't so much which cross over will work, but that the '04's have that first cross over, in front of the alternator cover. The earlier bikes did not have this, and was added after'02(?) to address a percieved dip in the power curve at about 4000 rpm. This front cross over tends to loosen and then it is free to rattle around, and creates a exhaust leak. I am about to try solving this on mine as soon as I get the new gaskets. You could also look at "Guzzitech.com" to find headers made with no front cross over at all.

There are several popular aftermarket cross overs for the one under the motor, and several threads concerning them. Some are said to improve either your mid range or top end power. Some prefer the Mistral, I think, because it allows the addition of an aftermarket center stand. There are many opinions, but there is also a central theme about them all. You will almost assuredly need some type of fuel control system, or a ECU remapping. The PowerCommander III seems to be the weapon of choice. I bought my bike already mod'ed, including the PC III, so I have never experienced the "power dip" many discuss here. Done properly, you will not be disappointed. After all, who amongst us has ever said,"It's got more power, I don't like it now" :huh::not:

Spend enough time here in "search" mode and you will find many questions answered, and in some cases more questions now than when you first started... :lol: Good luck in your quest for POWER, :notworthy::mg::wub: S.H.

Hey raceboy, I don't have any experience with the MG Ti set up, but I do have alot of mod's in line with what you're considering. There are some with the set up you are considering, and they will be here soon, no doubt. This is a great and helpful group/site.The biggest issue with the actual exhaust headers isn't so much which cross over will work, but that the '04's have that first cross over, in front of the alternator cover. The earlier bikes did not have this, and was added after'02(?) to address a percieved dip in the power curve at about 4000 rpm. This front cross over tends to loosen and then it is free to rattle around, and creates a exhaust leak. I am about to try solving this on mine as soon as I get the new gaskets. You could also look at "Guzzitech.com" to find headers made with no front cross over at all.

There are several popular aftermarket cross overs for the one under the motor, and several threads concerning them. Some are said to improve either your mid range or top end power. Some prefer the Mistral, I think, because it allows the addition of an aftermarket center stand. There are many opinions, but there is also a central theme about them all. You will almost assuredly need some type of fuel control system, or a ECU remapping. The PowerCommander III seems to be the weapon of choice. I bought my bike already mod'ed, including the PC III, so I have never experienced the "power dip" many discuss here. Done properly, you will not be disappointed. After all, who amongst us has ever said,"It's got more power, I don't like it now" :huh::not:

Spend enough time here in "search" mode and you will find many questions answered, and in some cases more questions now than when you first started... :lol: Good luck in your quest for POWER, :notworthy::mg::wub: S.H.

I'm not to keen on using a PCIII. I'll probably go the route of a new ECU.

Has anyone done a back to back testing (dyno pulls) with and without the crossover pipe up front..............on the same bike?????????????

Raceboy

I'm not to keen on using a PCIII. I'll probably go the route of a new ECU.

Has anyone done a back to back testing (dyno pulls) with and without the crossover pipe up front..............on the same bike?????????????

Raceboy

I hope someone who has will reply you.I just wanted to mention that i have read somewhere on this forum that the front x over helps a little with the dip at 4000 ish rpm when the bike is very near stock.

If you modify with Stucchi/Mistral/FBF xover(under gearbox)or something and also modify the airbox/put pods on,the front xover is not nessesary.Apparently it does the same job as an under the gearbox xover but maybe not as much difference as under gearbox xover.

I have a sporti and i also thought about the same thing.I even thought in my desperate chase of midrange torque that as heavily tuned Lemans engines has exhausts like that ,that has very much torque,than it's got to work on the 1100 engine too.But they are different in valve size,stroke,and so on.

Anders

I have Ti kit on my 2004 cafe sport....kit consists of

1/two cans

2/Ti ecu

3/two short pipes ( from can to crossover)

4/two shorter hangers

What I like is:

Good quality...well made

Cans weight a lot less than the stock

You don't get burned anymore (big temperature diff)

MG logos/looks

Sound ....nice and not annoying

Easy to install

you have to be careful since there are two Ti kit available

one 2000-2002...and another for later bikes

Performance improves not much in low range. but you feel difference from 5000-7000

only sound ....gives you at least 5hp :grin:

Passenger foot pegs are higher,... not very good for tall people at the back seat.

Tuning remains standard like every V11, but to avoid some part throttle pop/baf etc(1000-3000rpm)

you have to adjust trim level at 4% to 5% CO...the Ti ecu has a different fuel and timing map

Project0a0.jpg

theres a whole slew of dyno charts on a page on top of tech topics, thats right on the page where you posted this. using the search mode will get you more answers that you'll need.

I have the Guzzi Ti cans, a Mistral x-over and the race ECU. I also have a PCIII and it does a nice job of fine tuning the mapping. It definitely runs better with the PCIII than without it.

I mounted my cans at the stock height rather than using the higher hangers.

Hello V11cafe,

Your bike looks great. Thanks for your input. I have a few questions.

Do you have the part number for the Factory MG Ti Kit for the 2004 bikes??

Is the ECU that comes with the kit able to be reprogrammed / flashed with a new map or is it similar to the Stock unit....closed??

What cross over did you use???

I plan on using my bike for track days once in a while. Have you taken you bike on the track and how does it work on the track??

Thanks,

Raceboy

I have Ti kit on my 2004 cafe sport....kit consists of

1/two cans

2/Ti ecu

3/two short pipes ( from can to crossover)

4/two shorter hangers

What I like is:

Good quality...well made

Cans weight a lot less than the stock

You don't get burned anymore (big temperature diff)

MG logos/looks

Sound ....nice and not annoying

Easy to install

you have to be careful since there are two Ti kit available

one 2000-2002...and another for later bikes

Performance improves not much in low range. but you feel difference from 5000-7000

only sound ....gives you at least 5hp :grin:

Passenger foot pegs are higher,... not very good for tall people at the back seat.

Tuning remains standard like every V11, but to avoid some part throttle pop/baf etc(1000-3000rpm)

you have to adjust trim level at 4% to 5% CO...the Ti ecu has a different fuel and timing map

1/I bought Ti kit from TLM Holland....I have no part number http://www.tlm.nl/

2/No...exactly like the standard..flashed by the factory with Ti map

3/I have the stock cross over...but I plan for the Stucchi...gives something more 5000/7000rpm

4/Works better in small tracks with many curves.. u can keep up with 600 4 cyl Japs

only bad thing the handlebars...don't help much when u lean out of the bike

THe North AMerican wing of Piaggio has been out of the kit for the late bikes for some time, but you may be able to find someone who still has stock. I have one for the early bikes in stock. The only difference is the ECU. This is of no consequence if you will be adding a PCIII.

Hey all,

It seems from the response to this thread and from what I've read else where, I might be better off getting a Stucci or Mistral X-over, a pair of Mistral cans (or whatever else is good and works??????????) and then start looking at a new ECU (no PC for ME).

I have a few more exhaust questions and if I don't get any replys here I'll start a new thread to get the attention of the masses.

1) Has anyone tried the Ghezzi & Brian under-bike exhuast system?

2) Since I have a 2004 vintage V11 with the front cross over pipe, would it make sense to remove it once I install a Stucci or Mistral X-over? Pros and cons please, any evidence to back it up your assertions.

3) If I remember correctly I have a bung welded on each downpipe on my bike. I wonder if MG was pondering the idea of installing an O2 sensor for each cylinder??

4) Is anyone or has anyone considered using the an EGT gauge to monitor A/F ratio? I've heard some car guys go this route.

Cheers all,

Raceboy

I've got the Ferraci open filter kit, X-pipe and Staintune cans. I tried a PCIII and the results weren't what I had hoped for so I got a My15M ECU from Cliff and IMHO it works much better. The bungs on the stock exhaust don't have compatible threads for oxygen sensors, but some of the latest X-pipes are available with proper bungs. The My15M can be configured to run closed loop, but I'm still running open loop on my bike. I've never dynoed it, but it pulls much harder than a stock LeMans.

Hey all,

It seems from the response to this thread and from what I've read else where, I might be better off getting a Stucci or Mistral X-over, a pair of Mistral cans (or whatever else is good and works??????????) and then start looking at a new ECU (no PC for ME).

I have a few more exhaust questions and if I don't get any replys here I'll start a new thread to get the attention of the masses.

1) Has anyone tried the Ghezzi & Brian under-bike exhuast system?

2) Since I have a 2004 vintage V11 with the front cross over pipe, would it make sense to remove it once I install a Stucci or Mistral X-over? Pros and cons please, any evidence to back it up your assertions.

3) If I remember correctly I have a bung welded on each downpipe on my bike. I wonder if MG was pondering the idea of installing an O2 sensor for each cylinder??

4) Is anyone or has anyone considered using the an EGT gauge to monitor A/F ratio? I've heard some car guys go this route.

Cheers all,

Raceboy

1) I don't know about the G&B exhaust, but plenty run the Quat-D under bike exhaust.

2) Just my opinion, but I would replace the head pipes with non-crossover pipes. The front crossover is a compromise more about noise control and emissions then performance. In order to get the most benefit out of a Stucci or mistral unit you would want the front crossover gone.

3) I think the bungs on the stock pipes (smaller then an O2 sensor bung) are for CO testing, but I could be wrong.

4) Yes I've considered EGT monitoring. You can buy a nice unit that will measure temp in two cylinders at the same time for a couple hundred dollars. Exp aircraft supply houses are a good source. First read up on what EGT means. It is a useful tool, but it may have more use for racers then street riders.

1) I don't know about the G&B exhaust, but plenty run the Quat-D under bike exhaust.

2) Just my opinion, but I would replace the head pipes with non-crossover pipes. The front crossover is a compromise more about noise control and emissions then performance. In order to get the most benefit out of a Stucci or mistral unit you would want the front crossover gone.

3) I think the bungs on the stock pipes (smaller then an O2 sensor bung) are for CO testing, but I could be wrong.

4) Yes I've considered EGT monitoring. You can buy a nice unit that will measure temp in two cylinders at the same time for a couple hundred dollars. Exp aircraft supply houses are a good source. First read up on what EGT means. It is a useful tool, but it may have more use for racers then street riders.

Who sells the G&B or Quat -D in North America?? Is there a website to see what they look like...particularly the Quat-D?

Raceboy