Example of target fixation?

This is an exact example of target fixation. One of the most difficult things is to go against our reflexives. But since we manage to "beat" them and act "freely", we have the key for better, safer and more enjoyable ride.

It is also a good example of why following too closely reduces reaction time.

Yeah, about that: why did the guy following w/ the camera speed up and aim for his buddy when he saw the guy in front starting to lose it? :huh:

As they say hindsight is always 20/20, and most of us could think of a 100 different ways to react to this situation differently and avoid the crash. Most of us agree that the rider was following to closeley especially for a dirt road, but who knows what the rider was thinking and how experienced he/she was (I assume it was a guy, but I've heard some manly women and don't want to offend any female v11 members:)

Thats Great!

And the riders that avoided the guy passed the fixation test!

Are there any good video games that teach how to avoid target fixation?

Not really. Only mag article I've ever read even dealing w/ developing this ability didn't even mention the term "target fixation." It was about dirt riding [possibly in the long-gone Motocross Action News, Dirt Rider or maybe Cycle?] and learning to see "the Golden Path of Smooth" when bombing across the desert.

Worked great, except that you tended to come up on dry washes too fast to avoid them! [DAMHIK ;)]