Test Rode a V11 today

gsp0702

I also own a rosso mandello and two weeks ago I did a 900 km day with only abit of soreness in my left arm but hey I'm 51 I also got a bit sore on an sv suzuki I had and that hacd a very upright seating position. The point being different people find comfort on different bikes try moving around on the bike ,leaning on a tank bag. I also find discomfort heightens when the road is straight and boring, never have a problem in the twisties :lol:

A question, my understanding is that all V11's have a 6 speed gearbox, certainly what all the tech specs i can find on the internet say, however the RM I am negotiating on is advertised as a 5 speed box, and the Carbonfibre G/box cover is no 1 N 2 3 4 5. So seems consistent. Then basically the only reason I can see for it having the 5 speed box is that it has been replaced with an earlier 1100 sport box.

I think you should be asking some probing questions of the owner or going back for another ride and counting the gears as you go through them. I would also try to get to see the Ballabio so you know what you would be bidding on, and it would give you a chance to see what raised bars feel like.

My Mandello certainly has a 6 speed box but apart from 1st neutral and top I never really know what gear i'm in. I just use the one that feels right :whistle:

5 Speed box is a fault. It's not possible to transplant the old gearbox into a V11 frame.

BTW, I'm used to clip-ons since I first sat on a Guzzi in the early eighties, and I still find them the best and most comfortable solution - for hours of easy Guzzi driving through the mountains or hours of German highway bulleting, laying over the tankbag and having only one hand at the grips, just to keep the throttle open, wide open!

Buy the bike that talkes to you, the one of which you like the color or even just the name. Buy the bike you want. When I read all this talk about bars high or low or bent or not, I somehow think you've found your wifes by comparing wedding offers in the local newspapers.

Hubert

A question, my understanding is that all V11's have a 6 speed gearbox, certainly what all the tech specs i can find on the internet say, however the RM I am negotiating on is advertised as a 5 speed box, and the Carbonfibre G/box cover is no 1 N 2 3 4 5. So seems consistent. Then basically the only reason I can see for it having the 5 speed box is that it has been replaced with an earlier 1100 sport box.

Unless someone knows any different

The C/F cover could be why it is being listed as having a 5 speed box. I have never seen a V11 with a 5 speed. Not saying it can't be done, but I believe it would tack some pretty serious fab work. Enough that it would probably be cheaper to but a new bike.

When I read all this talk about bars high or low or bent or not, I somehow think you've found your wifes by comparing wedding offers in the local newspapers.

Hubert

:D

Thanks for the replies the question has been asked of the seller, and I am awaiting a call from the salesman. Comfort wise seemed pretty good once I had relaxed and wasnt't gripping the bars quite so tight then the vibes were less intrusive, and felt that some playing with different barend weights would help.

Cheers

Andy

Well had another test ride, counted up through the gears and it has six, previous owner had put a sticker on the gear box cover which had caused all the confusion, so all sorted and I will see if I can sell the Tiger private other wise go with their part-ex.

I am going to get them to compression test it, looking on line figures seem to be about 9.5:1 or 9.8:1. Anything else worth checking out?

Also would be interested in knowing what parts availability is like, and what response time from the factory is like?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Andy

The parts i've had to order so far have all taken around a fortnight to arrive, so not too bad really. Although it may be a bit longer to your lovely side of the world. The only thing that is taking a long time is a chutch reservoir bracket as it's showing on back order in Italy :( .

So are you getting the Rosso :thumbsup:

Well deal done on teh Rosso Mandello, had 24hr loan of it, way more fun than the Tiger, sounds great goes really well and is more of an experience to ride, so basically later this week I will be the very proud owner of Rosso Mandello.

Only problem is its almost to nice to use everyday.

Cheers for all the feedback.

Andy

[quote

Only problem is its almost to nice to use everyday.

Andy

Oh, I'm pretty sure you'll get over that, quickly :D:race: , and congratulations on what is likely to be one of your best purchases on the dollars/happiness scale :bier: Ride on! S.H.