Oil leaks

Guest boggycox

Guest boggycox

I have just bought a V11 Sport built in jan 2001 its new and only had 12kms on the clock when i aquired it. It has full two year factory warranty,I have done just over 1000kms on it so far and i am very pleased with it.While cleaning it the other day i noticed a small oil leak on the rear of the gear box it apears to be coming from the cover where the clutch hydraulic hose enters.

I know that i can get it looked at when it has its 1500kms service but i was wondering if this was a common place for them to leak and if there was a seal behind the cover that might of failed.

Search some of the old threads in this forum for gearbox leaks. Lots of discussion on this. Seems like *everywhere* is a common place for the 6-speeds to leak. Seriously, several places have been noted including front seals, rear seals, sealing surfaces and the side cover where the shift plate shafts penetrate.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out! :luigi:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest boggycox

Docc,Got my v11 sport back today after its 1500k service, When i took it in i asked them to check out the oil leak on the rear of the gearbox .They told me when i picked it up that they thought it was coming from the gearbox breather and to see how it went now they had changed the oil and the level was different.Rode it home gently ase the roads were wet and no oil so far,any thoughts on this?

Changing subjects i asked my local dealer {I live in Adelaide South Australia}about getting me a bikini fairing and they said it would take 3months to get here,I said leave it and have just e. mailed TLM they replied within a couple of hours and are sending me a silver stucchi one straight away.Hopefully it will be here in a couple of weeks,Why cant OMG do that?

Guest Jeff Kelland

My transmission is nearly always a bit oily looking on the left side. Not enough to notice unless you get down and look. It never drips and the fluid level is always the same. I'm guessing breather and after 9500 miles it hasn't changed. I don't worry about it.

Don't get me started! :luigi:,

My 2000 Sport has been in the shop three times for getting the trans leak fixed and I still have a leak. :homer: Now the warrantee has expired. :bbblll: I guess I will hang out with the leaking Harleys. :not:

Mike

Guest northend

I ride my 03 Le Mans pretty hard and have noticed some seepage from the vent at the rear of the trans.I was thinking that if you raised it up (kinda like a car rear axle vent) it wouldnt leak. I consider it no big deal though. I wouldnt worry about it unless it gets excessive (drips on ground) :angry:

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!!! :thumbsup::mg:

Jeff H....Detroit, MI. :rasta:

For over three years, almost 30,000 miles, I've been searching for the world's foremost expert on the Guzzi 6-speed. I've found it and . . . it's us!

A brief history of my 6- speed gearbox(es):

4000 miles, 2 month service for leaky front seal and complete clutch replacement. :luigi:

16,500 miles , 3 month service for left side leak which turned out to be a cracked main case at the top frame mount ( box out of the bike three times and completely disassembled twice, once to reseal all the mating surfaces with Yamabond and once for the new set of cases). :luigi::luigi:

Tranny false neutralled intensely after that service and leaked from the left side shift plate shaft bosses which penetrate the left side case, one above the other behind the starter. Tried absolutely everything to correct the lost shifting. :luigi::luigi::luigi:

27,000 miles every gearoil change shows metallic fuzz on the magnetic plug. False neutral becomes a way of life. I make final warranty claim and my dealer advises me he's out of the business. He handles my claim anyway and advises MG-US that a complete gearbox is the only satisfactory solution.

Five months and over eighty e-mails later there is a fresh, new complete gearbox in my sport. :bier:

Now, a couple observations right off the bat: if the bike weren't worth it I'd have quit a long time ago. So, this is no rant. "Just the facts, Ma'am."

Second, I believe we will develop the 6-speed into an imminently servicable , reliable unit. Much like guzzisti have done for the shift-drum 5-speeder. :mg:

Now, just a few observations :

The box volume is tight. If your fluid volume is too high it will mist the vent on the back right of the box and, potentially, push the other seals. Get a volumetric cylinder and give it the exact fill capacity ( 850ml). Don't use the sight glass for this.

Use a synthetic or semisynthetic. Not for the lubricity, as any seasoned oil threader will tell you 'dino goo' is just as good. No, it's because the synthetics have very limited heat lability. They don't 'cook off' like the dino oils. Less evaporative loss, if you will. Cleaner vent and lower case pressure when hot.

Change the gear oil when you change the motor oil. ( maybe around 3000 miles instead of 6000 miles).

Seal the bosses where the shift plate shafts penetrate the side left case behind the starter. Swab the bosses with a high flash point solvent and seal with high temperature RTV silicone.

If you wheelstand the bike or it 'shift-slams' you may be in for case cracks. This is , perhaps, more likely on the red frame sports as ( I believe) '02 and later bikes have frame members from the rear lower subframe to the engine case.

The new gearbox just installed on my sport has a different sealing agent. It is black , thick and rubbery. My original box was sealed with a brown, thin compound that I swear was olive oil based. I am hoping the new black sealant is as good as the Yamabond my dealer used as it formed a good tight bond.

OK, even I'm dizzy now :blink::blink: .