opening the G-Box for first time

Well. After some track days my Gbox is turned to nightmare. Shifting from 5th to 4th gear is nearly impossible. It clicks but the gear doesnt goes on. Hell. So I have to open the Gbox and see whats wrong. In Gbox oil there is a lot of aluminium dust therefore I fear the worst. I know how to get the engine off but I have never opened Gbox by my own.

Are there any hints/tips? For what should I look in it? Is it difficult?

thx a lot.

Slavek

Well. After some track days my Gbox is turned to nightmare. Shifting from 5th to 4th gear is nearly impossible. It clicks but the gear doesnt goes on. Hell. So I have to open the Gbox and see whats wrong. In Gbox oil there is a lot of aluminium dust therefore I fear the worst. I know how to get the engine off but I have never opened Gbox by my own.

thx a lot.

Slavek

Not bad to open for a look see. Take the side cover off before any major dismantling. Perhaps the trouble is in the shift mechanism in the cover or it just needs a good clean out and new lubricant. Make sure the shift lever is tight and lubricated too. (sounds like it may be worse though) The hardest part of cover removal is getting one of the lower socket head bolts out because there is not much clearance. A shortened socket works well. Put the trans in neutral before pulling the cover to avoid confusion going back together.

thx a lot.

Slavek

Get that section of the manual..... then it's quite simple.

You will need some tool to hold the input-shaft cog when you remove and replace the large input-shaft nut. I made mine from an old clutch-plate hub and a length of flat-iron.

Replace at least the input shaft and output shaft seals.

Be sure to get a proper sealing compound for the case pieces because there are no gaskets there. I use Yamabond 4, which Yamaha has now replaced with Three Bond TB1194. Loctite 515 is also appropriate.

Not bad to open for a look see. Take the side cover off before any major dismantling. Perhaps the trouble is in the shift mechanism in the cover or it just needs a good clean out and new lubricant. Make sure the shift lever is tight and lubricated too. (sounds like it may be worse though) The hardest part of cover removal is getting one of the lower socket head bolts out because there is not much clearance. A shortened socket works well. Put the trans in neutral before pulling the cover to avoid confusion going back together.

It would be great if it would need just new lubricant :P We'll see anyway :)

THX!

Get that section of the manual..... then it's quite simple.

You will need some tool to hold the input-shaft cog when you remove and replace the large input-shaft nut. I made mine from an old clutch-plate hub and a length of flat-iron.

Replace at least the input shaft and output shaft seals.

Be sure to get a proper sealing compound for the case pieces because there are no gaskets there. I use Yamabond 4, which Yamaha has now replaced with Three Bond TB1194. Loctite 515 is also appropriate.

Yes, Loctite is just fine :) Thanks!

just for curiousity... here it happened :(

DSC_0934.jpg