Rougher Running after a Wash

Darius

I washed the bike before riding the other day and noticed immediately it vibrates more throughout the RPM range than before the wash. Its especially rough at 4K RPM where I think I hear the air box resonating louder that the factory Ti exhaust. I washed when completely cold and, other than towel drying the body parts, let the bike heat and wind dry the rest. All connectors under that tank have been greased with dielectric grease so they should be OK. I have about 350 miles on it since the rough running started and gas mileage seems unaffected ( I typically get about 40 MPG). The bike continues to pull strong to redline - although the lesser refinement certainly detracts from the feel. I checked the throttle body connections at engine and to air box and they seem fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am completely stumped as to where to start to look for a cause of this.

I ruined a TPS with the pressure washer once. Apparently a high pressure water stream can infiltrate the TPS and cause trouble. It's worth a check.

Thanks Brian - I have not worked on the TPS before but perhaps its time to learn and check it out. I did use a garden hose (as opposed to high pressure sprayer) but your suggestion certainly fits the symptoms I am experiencing.

• Like 1

The TPS sits in a drink cup. Blow it out with compressed air after a wash or wet ride. Better, seal it with some silicone along the open margin. :luigi:

• 3 months later...

To All

I measured the TPS which seemed OK but didn't play with adjustments as I wanted to have Mike Rich diagnose it since he custom mapped the PC (along with building out the engine with pistons, cam etc.).

But, as it turns out I was looking in the wrong places. My issue turned out to be a cracked exhaust header - probably a coincidence that had nothing to do with washing. I found this out in reading another posting that described the exact symptoms I was having - but due to the cracked header. Thanks to all who offered helpful suggestions. That is what makes this a great forum!