Observations at 24,000 miles

Greg Field

I'm also very interested in how much difference those with the radial m/c feel it's made. Yes they are theroretically "better", but that's also some pretty big coin to get into them. I think my brakes are pretty damn good already. I only use my index finger for all but the hardest stops now. Of course, the fact that this bike is a quarter of a century newer than any of my previous bikes MUST be taken into consideration! :lol: I'll be lookin' for what looks like the new thread that's coming out of this...

Do you find the lever gets closer to your grip, or less close?

Is your reach fo the lever about the same?

The pivot point of the lever is definitely further from the handlebar, but since both OEM and this Brembo radial m/c levers are adjustable for reach, you can set them where you like.

This pivot point location might be the issue, but something certainly feels different.

It seems so, although the effort seems lighter.

Just what I want!

Thanks for your opinion.

I have already upgraded to the Ducati 999 front calipers.

Eventually I'll get better rotors, and if I find a good deal second hand, will consider a radial master cylinder.

Same for the driveshaft. No symptoms, but the failure mode is typical—meaning no play in the bearings but definite stiffness in one set of caps up front and one set in the back. That's kinda disturbing, since I was pretty methodical in lubing the u-joints. I'm half thinking of running this shaft until they show symptoms, and half thinking of replacing it with another used one I have. What to do?

The last time I replaced a driveshaft crucufix, it was very tight when I had finished. Not rough or notchy but just tight enough for me to take it apart again to be sure that a needle hadn't fallen out and was fouling things up. No. So, back together again and still feels the same. Has done about 15,000miles since then with no problems.

• 3 weeks later...
Mike:

Thanks. I'm not going to worry about a little tightness.

What manufacturer and part number for the crosses?

Sorry for the delay - not relevant to you as it was for a small block. But I've done BB ones in the past and just took measurements to a bearing factor to get equivalents. _At least_ an order of magnitude cheaper than buying a new one.

Somewhere like this:

http://genius.bsl.co.uk/paramsearch.cgi?cl...amp;language=EN

I was considering setting up in business doing exchanges until I put my sensible head on.

EDIT: one thing I always insisted on was a grease fitting in the crucifix. Many come without these days.