Moto Guzzi back to Moto-GP

Just an idea that came to me lately. As you know, Guzzi is no longer existing as we were used to it. Under the new ownership it's nothing more but a name, as it is Gilera for instance. They even have stopped production in Mandello if I've understood the article correctly.

But, if Piaggio wants a come back into MotoGP or Superbike, why not under Moto Guzzi instead of Aprilia? Aprilia makes nice bikes, surely, but is this really a name that makes people listen to? Just imagine the big, dark red racetruck with this overwhelming logo, "The Logo", on it. In a more modern form maybe, a very cool but decidedly forward pacing eagle, countlessly filmed by young enthusiasts when seen on the highway and put on U-tube?

What if Guzzi would compete and win again against the soon to come Beemers? If not on the road (even if some think the Stelvio already came quite close) then preferably on track?

I love my idea (as often) but I'm clearly seeing my fifties come, so they should speed up a bit their normal pace of decision finding, or I will not see this come true again, I'm afraid.

Hubert :P

PS: in the 70ies they already had a winning Guzzi with the 46 on it :lol: Maybe in 2010 or 2012, if nothing's left to be won?

Sure, but that's history, as Moto Guzzi itself is history. The new owner Piaggio has closed down nearly everything. No more Guzzi engineering, probably no more Guzzi assemblylines in Mandello, nothing but the museum as it actually seems. Piaggio is paying for Aprilia as well as for Gilera and now for Guzzi. They're already racing the small smellers under Aprilia and Gilera. Why shouldn't they race their new SBs under the Guzzi name and logo?

Hubert

Guest frankdugo

it's a nice dream,i think they are going to do it with aprilia,as they have some championships under their belts and the younger segment that they are targeting looks at guzzi different than us

I think part of ducati's success with both the fans and in superbikes is because the current engine has strong links back to the 500cc lacky band motors of the 70's (eg pantah). I think a guzzi superbike would have to have the same kind of links to the past.Development costs would be very high, and lets face it, compare how far the duc v twin has evolved compared to the guzzi over the last 40yrs. I would love to see more italian names on the grid .If guzzi go down this path they risk alienating the core following who buy and love guzzi's because of their easy to work on aspect and long life, although ducati have been successfull by marketing retro models for the DIY people and the high tech models for those who prefer to have the dealer work on their bikes :nerd:

Although MG is an established name in racing, I don't think Piaggio will use it's name in future racing projects. MG brand has become a too niche brand (very limited older target group) to be of much interest for Piaggio. If they enter in MotoGP or WSB they will use Aprilia. Entering has only one goal and that's to sell bikes! And I don't see MG producing crotch rockets. (or even use re-badged Aprilias).

Nice thought though!

Yes, rebadging was the idea, not burning money in an engine based on the actual Guzzi line. They've burned enough with the MGS01, that should do it for now.

Generally I'd suggest to get a little distance to this annoying thinking, Guzzi was for the elderly people only. Although such a traffic sign might actually be placed at the entrance of every 3rd or 4th street in Britain, I've never spotted a Guzzi shop in these areas so far.

But seriously, every youngster interested in bikes sooner or later will open the one or other book about bikes - we know what name he'll find on page one, at least on page two: surely not Aprilia, and even for Ducati it will take 3/4ers of the book before being mentioned for the first time.

Aprilia once was planning to do a quite similar thing with the name Laverda. It was nothing else but a luxury version of a standard Aprilia. Everybody knew that but nevertheless it got some remarkable interest. Or take Buell, them bringing a really powerful bike to the market without using this very limited HD unit.

Aprilia was sold to Piaggio because the market for their scooters more or less had collapsed. Scooter is Piaggio, not Aprilia. So, what's left for them? Aprilia is not a name that makes people look up. Such names are BMW, Guzzi, HD, Triumph - perhaps also Ducati, but I'm not too sure about that.

Hubert

Investing in a MotoGP team, newly designed bike or rebadged, will still cost major Euros. And Piaggio wants to (eventually) see it's money back...

The examples you use, Laverda and Buell, weren't (or won't be) very successful.

- Using a new MG race bike will have to result in a new MG sports road bike, and that extra risk (very high investment) Piaggio will not take.

- Rebadging just won't do. Then they'll also have to sell rebadged Aprilia's (RSV Mille or the likes) with the risk of alienating their current target group in which they already have invested a lot with all the new "touring" models. Plus they risk losing the younger Aprilia riders in their customer base.

Aprilia is not a name that makes people look up.

Maybe not in Germany or Holland, but how about other countries?

But I agree with you: MG competing in MotoGP or WSB again would be great!