suddently no firing

huub

I told you so long ago :)

I hope your ECU is fine, it's the most expensive suspect :huh:

Yeah, I know. But second hand they are affordable, better than no firing...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know. But second hand they are affordable, better than no firing...

Very strange this ecu-thing. Checked my ecu in another v11 and also that bike was not running. So I thought it's the ecu, stupid!

But then I bought a second hand one from a ducati monster and put it on my bike. But no running! Grr. Maybe this one is also broken down (I can change it), but that's curious.

So something els is wrong too. Checked all the sensors, all ok. Checked the ground cables, ok too.

Sell the bike? Shout at him / her? Maybe i should check the ecu at the dealer's.

If you have access to a second V11, can you put your ecu (that you think is no good) in the other V11 and see if it runs with your ecu in it? And maybe you could swap the other V11's ecu into your bike just to see if that's the problem. I would not think an ecu from a Ducati would work properly in your V11. Even if it is the same basic hardware, the firmware will be different.

If you have access to a second V11, can you put your ecu (that you think is no good) in the other V11 and see if it runs with your ecu in it?

He just did that, and it didn't run.

And maybe you could swap the other V11's ecu into your bike just to see if that's the problem. I would not think an ecu from a Ducati would work properly in your V11. Even if it is the same basic hardware, the firmware will be different.

Agreed, you can't just put any ECU in any bike even if it looks the same. I'd guess it should prime though.

If you have means to try a known good V11 ECU in your bike, that would be the next.

He just did that, and it didn't run.

Agreed, you can't just put any ECU in any bike even if it looks the same. I'd guess it should prime though.

If you have means to try a known good V11 ECU in your bike, that would be the next.

I didn't expect the bike to run with the ducati ecu, but I hoped the fuelpump would run. The ecu is exacly the same as a v11 one, an IAW15M, only the software on it is different. I'll try the dealer to do some measurements.

Did you try that, Huub?

No, I didn't find anyone with a v11 ecu nearby who dares... And personally I agree on that, because maybe mine is an ecu-eater... I hope the dealer can help, see him on wednesday.

In case you want to play a little more, you could try establishing that the ECU connector has 12V on whatever pins it's supposed to, like pin 17 regardless of ignition, and pin 26 with ignition on. And with ignition off, check resistance between ECU connector ground (pins 23 & 24) and battery ground. All this could be measured with the ECU disconnected.

Also, with ECU connected and ignition on, you could check whether you have 5V output to the TPS. If you have, at least SOMETHING works inside that box...

In case you want to play a little more, you could try establishing that the ECU connector has 12V on whatever pins it's supposed to, like pin 17 regardless of ignition, and pin 26 with ignition on. And with ignition off, check resistance between ECU connector ground (pins 23 & 24) and battery ground. All this could be measured with the ECU disconnected.

Also, with ECU connected and ignition on, you could check whether you have 5V output to the TPS. If you have, at least SOMETHING works inside that box...

Thx, you look like someone who knows what he's doing with the ecu's!

I went with both the ducati ecu and my own v11 ecu to the dealers, to test them in a bike of his. With both ECU's no running fuelpump. So my ECU is broken down (tested it now into two bikes) and I don't trust the ducati ECU either (tested it also on two bikes). So that one is going back.

I bought one on ebay now, from a V11. That one should work! Let you know when I got it.

Remove battery and get it load tested, just because the starter motor is going round and round doesn't not mean the battery is fine. If it has a dodgy cell it will be able to turn the starter over with current but the voltage will drop to the piont where all the electronics will simply shut down and you will have no spark amoug other things. Also check the crank postion sensor as this tells the ECU if the motor is turning or not, if the ecu doesn't think the motor is turning it doesn't tend to spark or inject fuel.

Send the duff ECU to Cliff to convert it to a My15m. No more dodgy ECU problems and full adjustablity to boot. Then you can even get it to idle nicely. Yes it will cost you but, so does all the chasing about on ebay.

You might like to test the new ECU first in another bike before you put it into yours.

I once had a Ducati 900 ECU at hand and in my V11 and I even drove around with it a bit. Lean but working.

Hubert

Mmm, I thought of that too, but also doubting if it was necessary. But now I hear this, I certanly do!

Send the duff ECU to Cliff to convert it to a My15m. No more dodgy ECU problems and full adjustablity to boot. Then you can even get it to idle nicely. Yes it will cost you but, so does all the chasing about on ebay.

Who is Cliff? Sounds good anyway.