TechoFlex Suspension

VR6Dave

I was reading on a Triumph Tiger site about suspension upgrades and someone mentioned these guys:

TechnoFlex!

I was wondering if anyone, especially the guys in Europe, have heard anything about them? The poster seemed to liken them to Ohlins. Thanks.

Dave

Guest ratchethack
here we have a lot of suspension companys. It started with WP, and after time some people who worked there had ideas how to do things different, and started their own firm. See also Hyperpro.

Paul, I've always been curious about all the suspension expertise centered in Holland. :nl::cheese:

I've been under the impression for decades that telescopic shock development originated at Koni in Oud Beijerland after WWII??

Ck. Koni history here:

http://www.koni.com/70.html

Enquiring minds. . . (well, you know. . .) :huh2:

I've been under the impression for decades that telescopic shock development originated at Koni in Oud Beijerland after WWII??

Well everybody here knows, or should know, or if you don't you do know now

that the inventor of the telescopic cartridge system was not the Dutch Koni, the Ippon Showa or the Swedish Öhlins but the one and only MOTO GUZZI.

Cartridge-demping

In tijden van steeds lichtere machines met steeds meer vermogen dringt een steeds beter dempingssysteem zich op om het contact tussen band en asfalt te vrijwaren. Het zal menig onder u wellicht verwonderen, maar de eigenlijke uitvinder van de ‘losse’ demper ofte het cartridge-systeem is niet Showa, Kayaba of Öhlins, maar wel Moto Guzzi. Dezer dagen eerder gekend als constructeur van zware V-twins met tonnen karakter maar niet echt met de meest vooruitstrevende blokken. Maar ooit was dat anders: met 3.329 overwinningen in officiële races, 14 wereldtitels en 11 overwinningen in de TT was Guzzi halverwege de vorige eeuw een uiterst sportief en ronduit vooruitstrevend merk. Tijdens die gloriedagen ondervonden de sportieve Italianen al dat simpelweg een sloot olie door enkele gaten dwingen absoluut niet voldoende was om demping te voorzien, en zij plaatsten als eerste een losse dempingsunit in hun voorvorken.

© Philippe Vandekerckhove, DPPI, Yamaha

Free translation:

In times of ever lighter machines with ever more power, an increased damping system is wanted. It will probably surprise many of you, but the actual inventor of the 'loose' damper aka the cartridge system is not Showa, Kayaba or Öhlins, but Moto Guzzi. These days previously known as a manufacturer of heavy V-twins with tons of character but not really with the most advanced engines. But once that was different: with 3,329 wins in official races, 14 world titles and 11 wins in the TT, Guzzi was an extremely sporty and downright progressive brand. During those days of glory the Italians already experienced that a ditch of oil forced through some holes was absolutely not enough to have decent control in damping. So they were the first to use a cartridge damping system in their bikes forks.

Thought this was a nice story to mention here.

Guest ratchethack
Thought this was a nice story to mention here.

It is a nice story, and worth mentioning!

Guzzi was indeed the first OEM provider of cartridge forks, as many hereabouts well recall.

But the question I asked was about specialty providers of shocks for the aftermarket as well as OEM (Technoflex, WP, HyperPro).

I b'lieve Koni was certainly one of the biggest of the first, if not numero uno on the calendar?!? ;)

But I don't know for sure. That's why I asked. :huh2:

Sorry Ratch

Obviously I read your remarks in a bad way. I've been excusing myself before for my knowledge of the 'English language'. But I'm trying the best I can.

I guess you are quite right,

first Koni appearance was 1955, but the British Hagon was only 3 years later (1958) founded. Sure thing is it will be found in Western Europe because that's were automotive sports were tallest.

Guest ratchethack

No problemo, mi compadre.

BTW, your command of English seems just fine to me.

How's your Spanish?

English is rapidly becoming our um, "unofficial" second language where I live, and my Spanish is worse than atrocious, but I'm willling to adjust and accomodate by using it as little as possible. . . :whistle: