Maintenance Gas Tank

Desdinova

Has anyone used, or have any suggestions for a "maintenance tank" to use on the V11.

Sometimes when trouble-shooting it's just easier to hang a small tank above the bike (hold a quart or so) to work things out without having the tank mounted. I have done this on older carb bikes, but wondered if any had done this on an EFI bike where pressure and such is important.

Somthing like this: Deluxe Aux Fuel Tank

Just wondered if someone had used this or something similar... DIY etc...

I can't think of enough reasons to do this as I can enough drawbacks. the pressure regulator is attached to the tank. You will have to remove it from the tank or buy another one and attach it to the "other tank". I assume yours has an external pump. Remember you are playing with 30-60 p.s.i. of gasoline.

I suppose you could mount the tank to something and run supply and return lines to the bike. If the pump is internally mounted you will need to fab a longer wiring harness to power the pump.

I can't think of enough reasons to do this as I can enough drawbacks. the pressure regulator is attached to the tank. You will have to remove it from the tank or buy another one and attach it to the "other tank". I assume yours has an external pump. Remember you are playing with 30-60 p.s.i. of gasoline.

I suppose you could mount the tank to something and run supply and return lines to the bike. If the pump is internally mounted you will need to fab a longer wiring harness to power the pump.

This is where I would say "Uncle"! :D

• 3 months later...

When I first tried running my 2000 V11 engine with the tank off I quickly found that the aux tank I made would not work because it did not provide any back pressure the way the in-tank regulator does. What I did was crude, but it worked. I simply squeezed the return line enough so the engine would run above idle, but of course I then didn't have my hands free. Eventually I will make some kind of adjustable flow restrictor.

I just made the tank by soldering a brass fitting into the side, near the botton of an old Coleman fuel can. Then I used nylon T connectors to take one clear vinyl line to the fuel line on the bike and another to the line to the regulator. If all the connections are wired or hose clamped they won't pop off with back pressure. Just compress the return line from the regulator with a small C-clamp or similar device. Could luck.

I simply squeezed the return line enough so the engine would run above idle, but of course I then didn't have my hands free. Eventually I will make some kind of adjustable flow restrictor.

Stating the obvious: Depending on what maintenance is being performed, a correct fuel pressure (3 bar/45 psi) may be vital. It seems a generic one may cost $100 though. I just checked, I thought they were cheaper.