removal of petrol tank for painting

rideblue1

Hello all

I have removed all "body"parts from my 2001 V11 ready for painting except the petrol tank which I have left on the bike for as long as possible so that the engine could be run. The parts go in for paint soon and so I will removing the tank. Before I commence I thought I'd ask on the forum for any advice in relation to removal and refitting of the tank. I don't want to suffer an air lock or other vacuum related problems when I come to get the bike on the road and was wondering of any experiences that others have had when attempting the removal and replacement of the tank. I still haven't quite made up my mind on a colour for the V11 but metallic bronze is my choice at the moment. Any suggestions would be welcome as I am fairly open minded on choice of colour, though I am bearing in mind the red frame factor. The bike is silver at the moment but after sustaining damage a paint job is necessary and so I thought a change would be in order. Thanks for listening and remember "ride while you can" :thumbsup:

lock the pet-cock, dismatile the tank, drain out the fuel, take out the pet-cock, the pressure regulator...

one thing I really dont know how to is the leather thing on the top :)

I will have my LM repainted also..

schemes what I am thinking of is getting it pearl white with red side frames. I have rosso corsa fairing so I would let the stripes stay dark red and the rest paint in white :)

OR!

having it painted in similar way :)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/87/26477333...f199802.jpg?v=0

I once had a BMW with a piant that looked black far away but up close it was a dark rootbeer color with gold metal flake, that was cool paint, I think they called it Bronco or something. it had gold pinstriping but red would look good too.

sc0020af58.jpg

Hi Slavomir,many thanks for the information and the input on paint colours.That paint scheme on the old M3 Le Mans in the picture would be cool and pretty unique on a modern Guzzi as I think it was a paint scheme used by Guzzi some years ago, on I think the 1000S model.I recall seeing one in green and black as opposed to red. I like the sound of the Pearl white and red striping better though,that would be classy. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with and thanks again. :race:

lock the pet-cock, dismatile the tank, drain out the fuel, take out the pet-cock, the pressure regulator...

one thing I really dont know how to is the leather thing on the top :)

I will have my LM repainted also..

schemes what I am thinking of is getting it pearl white with red side frames. I have rosso corsa fairing so I would let the stripes stay dark red and the rest paint in white :)

OR!

having it painted in similar way :)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/87/26477333...f199802.jpg?v=0

Hi and thanks for taking time to reply.My favourite colour on a bike is a rich red but the problem with the V11 is its almost unique red frame. I had a 1980 Beemer 1000 which I had resprayed a deep candy apple red which looked great but I need to stay away from red on the V11 because of the existing frame colour. I tend to go for the warmer richer colours and usually make my mind up fairly quickly but it's taking longer in the case of the Guzzi.I'm off to a classic bike show at the weekend,maybe I'll get some inspiration there. Love that beemer in your picture,I have an R80 and I never tire of the classic look of the older generation flat twins. Safe riding and thanks again. :thumbsup:

I once had a BMW with a piant that looked black far away but up close it was a dark rootbeer color with gold metal flake, that was cool paint, I think they called it Bronco or something. it had gold pinstriping but red would look good too.

sc0020af58.jpg

Hi Bruce,thanks for the link,plenty to read there to help with the tank removal.Agree with the bronze choice as I have been looking at a metallic bronze colour used by BMW. I have tried googling for a pic of the bronze 09 Norge you mentioned but without success. I think bronze along with the red frame would look the business.The champagne colour used by Guzzi is another option but it may be a little light for my taste. Thanks again for the info and suggestions. :mg:

You might find some info here:

Tank removal

I'm partial to silver V11s but the new bronze color used on the '09 Norge might work with the red frame and pork chops.

Have fun!

Dennis