rear report

Guest Le Man

Just changed out my tires ( a bit overdue @ 12,000 miles) a figured I would share some of what was found.

Rear splines dry as a bone and rusted (cleaned them up and greased)

Rear wheel bearings dry, dry, dry . popped out seals, greased and reinstalled (will check again soon.)

Rear brake pads down to wear point. (replaced)

Mounting bolt for rear brake carriage very corroded. Cleaned and reinstalled.

The tire guy (Robert of Arizona Motorcycle tire, one of the best) said that in his opinion the rear wheel bearings were always on the dry side. This may be a good thing to check for all you other Lemans owners at any time in the first few thousand miles.

BTW I installed a Cateye bicycle instrument on the bars..gives speed, odometer, stop watch, time, avg speed, and many other things uses its own power, is weather proof and costs $29.99. Good deal I think!

Mike

The Sigma BC800 has all of the same features, is at least splash resistant, is good to 183 mph and cost about $13 these days (Nashbar). Too bad they aren't lit. I have a hokey looking white LED aimed down at mine from a coat hanger wire support. There is a place in Germany that repackages them (Sigmas) into a handlebar mount thing for the big Harleys. Kind of awful to take such a small elegant design and make it suitable for a garbage truck, but at least they did get it lit as I recall.

I know what you mean about the lack of lighting. I have been toying w/a few lighting methods myself but I like my stuff to be well mounted and a bit permanent so I have as yet to find a way to do it. These units can be calibrated for a wide range of wheel sizes and in most cases can be set for two different wheel sizes so it can be moved from one bike to another w/o any setting changes. The countdown timer and the local time feature interested me the most and the price is so good that it is far cheaper than any motorcycle mounted clock on the market.

I don't have a shot of mine but I have an unused threaded mirror mount on my bar controls and I fab'ed a quick mount to drop into these holes. It sits between my throttle hand and my brake master.

Mike

I had the red/gray Specialized Speed Zone Pro for a while, and not only is it back-lit, but the "cutout" on the sides lined up just perfectly with the front brake reservoir B) , and one could easily rig up a mount using the master cylinder mirror hole that is unused and plugged on the LeMans.

Specialized Speed Pro Computer

All of the same functions of our Elite Classic computer (Current/Max/Avg. Speed, Odo., Trip Dist., Interval Timer, Cadence and more..) with the added benefits of an altimeter, thermometer and inclonometer.

Wireless

2nd Wheel option so you can use it on two bikes with additional mounting kit (available in Spare Parts section)

Preprogrammed Wheel Sizes for easy set up

Altimeter (including altitude gained), Thermometer, Inclinometer

Cadence

Current/Max/Avg. Speed

Interval timer, Digital Clock, Stopwatch

Odometer, Trip distance, Auto Time mode

2 Display Lines to view 2 funcions at one time & also Backlight, 2 Year Warranty

Water resistant housing, Magnet for flat bladed spokes available separately.

The thing is awesome. It's wireless, temp, speed, altimeter, etc.... They also have some slightly cheaper ones that have most of these features.

I really like the wireless aspect, although I never did get it mounted before I decided to sell it, so I never did find a good place for the transmitter. But it looked very do-able :bike:

I only sold it because I didn't find the digital readout went well with the "analog look" of the LeMans, and I got my Formotion clock and thermometer, so I was set ^_^

al

I actually tried a wireless unit prior to buying the wire-up version of the Cateye. The wireless worked ok if you did not start the engine, then it went to hell. It must have been picking up interference from the plugs or the alternater. In all fairness the bike shop guy told me it wouldn't work but I just had to try it.

Mike