oil life?

DeBenGuzzi

so normally I ride like 5-6k miles and don't have a poblem change the oil in the spring and like mid summer but this year I didn't put 2k on either ride as I was working overnights and a lot of weekends cause I'm broke, ANYWAY what are some protocols for oil I know they harp on 3 mo's no matter what but those are the anals and the shops what about the real world whats a more realistic oil life 3,000mi 5,000mi or something crazy like 6 or 7 that some manulas state? and what kind of milage should I get out of a semi-syn motul 5100 that I use? is it better to change the oil in the fall before storage or the spring before riding it? just stuff I've never asked and should know already. :homer:

I would change it before putting it up for the winter. Any acids or foriegn matter will be down the drain and not settilng in your bike's oil pan.

Don't forget to use Sta-bil or similar in the fuel system too.

I always put stabil in the tanks for the last half tank and run it awhile with it in there to get it through the system then in the spring I pop in a little seafoam

I use Motul 5100 semi-synthetic oil, I was using redline but that crap is uber expensive well like $50 an oil change over the $30 motul

Splitting my riding between bikes I usually don't put more than 3000 miles on any of them in one season. I generally change street bike oil once a year and use Spectro products in all my bikes.

I usually ride well into November and start back up in late March. I never use Stabil and never have a problem. I'll usually completely warm up everything at least once over the winter with a short ride on a clear day.