"Probably more than anything else, what I like about this site/forum is it's international flavor. We're all drawn to the passionate irrationality of Italian motorcyles, yet must approach them with a calm analytical mind for the debugging they need. If the discussions also include these things, we shoud be fine. I think allowing this sort of chat provides windows into hearts and minds and provides the potential for people in one culture to live in another for a brief moment - if only virtually...

... Mark Twain quote: "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness"."

OldButNotDead

Took that quote from recent closed thread. I thought it deserved not to be buried there.

Sure this is a motorcycle forum, but it's the insights into different ways of seeing the world that makes V11LeMans more interesting to me than some others. I wouldn't like to see that side of this board lost.

Internet is a very unforgiving way to communicate thoughts, & a lot of subtlety & inflection that may be present face to face is lost. This is especially true when people are coming at something from several different cultures & histories.

From what I understand, Jaap is happy for us to talk about any subject - but only to do it with good humor & without personal insults & attacks. I guess it's not easy to distinguish sometimes.

:bier:

KB :sun:

Edit: ....& to illustrate my point - I just noticed I spelt the title of this thread wrong.... perhaps a passing moderator might be able to lose one of the 'L' s from oorsels? cos it's now untouchable to me I think....

Very eloquently put.

I've really enjoyed the face to face meetings with others. We really are quite a different bunch. and as has been said before this forum does allow one to interact* with people you perhaps wouldn't normally.

In my minds eye I thought I knew how others perceive me and what I stood for and my "reasonable" assumptions.

Being an officer of the law I deal with absolutes it's either right or wrong and I always come down on the side of right- well I like to think so. But experience quickly shows that the edges are very blurred. Then we throw in personal experiences and cultural background and that puts a whole different spin on perspectives and interpretation. Professionally I've learnt not to take any of it personally. That was a very hard lesson as it shook some of my beliefs to the core. So I'm now a bit more detached and relaxed, but hopefully not uncaring.

Without trying to put my foot in it. I think we English speakers assume that this type of problem will mainly come with those for who English is not their first language. But more often or not it's not, as they pay more attention to what has been written and try harder to understand the inflection. There is currently showing on the BBC a series where Stephen Fry (comedian - clever bugger) does a whistle stop tour of the USA in a black London cab (iconic taxi) Whilst only scratching the surface it quickly shows despite having the same language and greatly influencing our (British) way of life economically/commercially/entertainment/etc we really are two nations separated by the same language(if we're stealing quotes). I think he could have done the same by touring the home nations.

I've obviously got some threads to catch up on as been a way awhile and perhaps I should have done that first before putting banana to keyboard.

* I was going to say widen the circle of your friends - and you know where that would have led :o

Keith - done your extra l

Took that quote from recent closed thread. I thought it deserved not to be buried there.

Sure this is a motorcycle forum, but it's the insights into different ways of seeing the world that makes V11LeMans more interesting to me than some others. I wouldn't like to see that side of this board lost.

Internet is a very unforgiving way to communicate thoughts, & a lot of subtlety & inflection that may be present face to face is lost. This is especially true when people are coming at something from several different cultures & histories.

From what I understand, Jaap is happy for us to talk about any subject - but only to do it with good humor & without personal insults & attacks. I guess it's not always easy to distinguish sometimes.

:bier:

KB :sun:

Right there with you Keith. Thanks for saving that quote. OBND spoke eloquently. It is a fact of life that people will misconstrue, misunderstand, disagree, intentionally ruffle feathers and be downright vile. A discussion between family or neighbors can erupt into a personal war. We have people from around the globe here. The amazing part is, most everyone gets along and enjoys this marvelous resource. That is usually the case until the subject turns to politics. I think we should stick to motorcycles.

At least as interesting as the rest of the words written in the mentioned thread I found these lines:

" ...but as a real American I do understand and appreciate the strong element of “wilderness” here that many of my fellow citizens value... "

also from OBND. It's so interesting because here, where I live, we actually have some very interesting discussions and broadcast features because of "90 Years Revolution in Bavaria - Kurt Eisner and the 'Freistaat Bayern' " There were some good points about Anarchy as an idea of freedom and very basic democracy in this concern. The above mentioned lines are saying quite the same thing in my eyes.

For me this is another point why a forum like this is essential. Just like Baldini and Martin have already mentioned. Thanks, I'm feeling well hosted here (at least from time to time ;) )

Hubert