change the reardrive bearing

Paul Minnaert

The inner ring from the right hand reardrive bearing wasn't looking so fresh. So I went to the shop and got the needle bearing, INA HK2516-2rs and the inner ring IR20x25x18 The last one is out of the INA catalog, but the chineese are helpfull, and make it.

http://www.ikosh.net/gunzhen-zhoucheng/LRT...02518-3945.html

The inner ring is the expensive part, so German parts are cheaper then Chineese. :-)

On the right the old inner ring. The new one doesn't have a hole, so the grease stays maybe a bit more where it should.

Next is the task to get the old one out, hopefully without taking the whole thing in pieces.

To be continued

reardrive1.jpg

This is the bearing the bevelbox swings on?

Worry no more!

The expanding puller used for the needle rollers in the old five speed gearbox works just dandy. Guess how I know? :lol: I'm sure you know someone who has such a thing? If not if you can turn it around quick I'll lend you mine.

Buggered if I know why the Guzzi bearing has an 'ole in it? To let water in and cause rust I suppose!

On Nige's bike I couldn't get a bearing with a 17mm (?) race so I went for an 18 instead and then used a spare race from a five speed thrust bearing off the clustershaft as an excluder. When the whole thing clamps up it makes no difference as the bearing is a 2RS type, (SO why the hole to let shit in???) and if you honestly worry about a 1mm offset in the wheel you can either take it out at the swingarm or, as I did, simply believe that tyres aren't THAT precise!

Pete

I'm sure you remember there were long discussions on this and speculation about whether it is better to have a hole, or not?

Does it let the water in – or let the water out? Etc.

Whatever, getting the bearing out is a severe trial (in most cases) from I remember of experience and the discussions.

No 'ole in mine

Image-87B55F16B45411D9.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

I do remember discussions, but it was some time ago so freshen things up a bit.

Yeah, I'm just thinking that it will be interesting to get more, or as you say, fresh, ideas on this little puzzler – as I don't remember there being any clear consensus about what purpose the hole serves. :thumbsup:

As for solutions to extracting the bearing: the more the – :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Compared to the swing arm bearings, mine was a walk in the park. I think I used a heat gun and a crappy blind bearing puller.

I now have a cheap spray-can type propane/butane torch. Man, that is one of the best things I ever bought. It's an order of magnitude quicker than a hot air gun and therefore much more selective.

thanks Pete, but I think this tool I got today at work should be able to do it.

I have the same tool, it will take all of 30 seconds to pull the bearing with it, just make sure you catch it on the end of the bearing and not the lip on the wheel.

thanks Pete, but I think this tool I got today at work should be able to do it.

Wish I had one of thoes when I pulled mine out,I was out to get a bodge point with that screwdriver and hammer.

well today it had to be done.

first picture, its halfway out

second picture, I wonder why they put in such a small bearing, instead of a sealed bigger one.

third picture, to get it nice in, I heated the alu around it, and added an inner race from another bearing on the wheel spindle, the spindle makes it go straight in. And well, thats were the hammer was for.

But wondering about how it comes that the grease doesn't stay there, I think the inner race doesn't need a hole. That only lets the grease out. When driving the reardrive gets hot, just like the bearing grease. Then that gets fluid, and the hole lets it out. So it have to look for a grease that does like heat.

DSC09651.jpg

DSC09655.jpg

DSC09656.jpg

DSC09652.jpg