best finish for rocker covers and alternator cover

rideblue1

Hi,finish on rocker covers is starting to bubble and lift,the alternator cover is in a much worse condition.I want to get all three items cleaned back to bare metal and then a new finish applied. I once had the rocker covers off an old BMW blasted and then stove enameled and was really pleased with the result. Are the three items off my V11 made of suitable materials to have this process carried out? If not then what would be the best cleaning and finishing techniques to get done? Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Hi,finish on rocker covers is starting to bubble and lift,the alternator cover is in a much worse condition.I want to get all three items cleaned back to bare metal and then a new finish applied. I once had the rocker covers off an old BMW blasted and then stove enameled and was really pleased with the result. Are the three items off my V11 made of suitable materials to have this process carried out? If not then what would be the best cleaning and finishing techniques to get done? Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

yes!

I have stripped off the paint from my Jackal valve covers- and have polished them several times on my bench- beginning to look good. Will post pics when I have finished.

Have bought some Belgolm Alu to coat them with when I have finished to prevent corrsion.

Guy :helmet:

I've thought of polishing but when I've done this in the past the metal soon dulls.If a lacquer is applied then it yellows after a while. With stove enameling the finish stays spot on and is easy to keep on top of. Thanks for all the input but at the moment stove enameling gets the vote and is something I can get done locally. Thanks again.

FWIW; I had mine professionally polished 4 years ago to get rid of a bit of road rash on one of the covers :o

Both covers and repacment head guards came out wonderful and still look good today without any polishing beyond normal cleaning. No laquer or other coating applied either.

I've thought of polishing but when I've done this in the past the metal soon dulls.If a lacquer is applied then it yellows after a while. With stove enameling the finish stays spot on and is easy to keep on top of. Thanks for all the input but at the moment stove enameling gets the vote and is something I can get done locally. Thanks again.

The engine, gearbox and final drive box on my old T3 were completely unpainted - all rough cast apart from the rocker covers and alternator cover, which had been mirror polished. It took some keeping up to (lots of solvol autosol), but after 20 years still looked as good as when it was new, and much classier than any painted finish. And think of the weight saving! When I get tired of black that's what I'm going to do with my Scura. Could be hard work getting all that paint off though!

Thanks all. You have certainly gave me food for thought as the saying goes.Just been out to the workshop to take off the alternator cover and all the bolts came out easily except one! It's seized solid so whilst I struggle with the little bugger I will think about what finish to give the cover if it ever comes off! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I found Halfords satin silver finish engine paint is a good match for the grey alternator cover on my V11, and has so far lasted considerably better than the stock paint. My rocker covers are bare polished metal, which made polishing out some scratches from a crash rather easier.