Motorcycle related. Not Guzzi... One of those other brands...

Richard Z

I've owned my 1979 Suzuki GS1000S for several years and with the sale of my Eddie Lawson Replica there is a hole in my heart and garage.

The GS1000S otherwise known as a Wes Cooley replica was built for 2 years with less than 400 built total. The NOS and good used parts are scarce. Especially the body and Instrumentation. I have all the parts, however, some aren't the best condition and reproducing them would be costly.

However, I think I've come up with an idea to keep the bike true to it racing heritage and keep the value up on the bike.

I recently found a set of fairings for a Formula 1 GS1000S. This would allow me to build the bike and keep the restoration honest. It will allow me to use updated component but not devalue the bike.

The first picture is of the factory Wes Cooley Replica.

wescooleygs1000s.jpg

The pic of the actual bike a few years ago. It's not it great condition but a good start.

motorcycle034.jpg

The AMA Superbike pics with Wes Cooley aboard.

Cooley3.jpg

cooley1.jpg

And the AMA Formula 1 Suzuki GS1000S with Wes Cooley aboard...

cooley2-1.jpg

I think the last is the route I want to go. I can sell the stock components and get some $$$ back to finish the bike.

What's everyones thoughts?

Richard Z.

I personally think that the street version 1000S is a much nicer looking bike than the full faired model. It's also going to be a better investement to go the GS1000S street model route, it will be much more collectable and valuable.

I know the parts are tricky to find for old Suzuki's, but it will be worth it.

Steve

I personally think that the street version 1000S is a much nicer looking bike than the full faired model.

I agree with Steve. I don't pretend to know much about the collector market, I've just always liked the semi-nekkid Cooley and Lawson bikes.

I agree with Steve. I don't pretend to know much about the collector market, I've just always liked the semi-nekkid Cooley and Lawson bikes.

I know, I've been retinking this over and over... I'd hate to modify the bike. I loved my ELR. If I could duplicate a Formula 1 bike with a regular GS1000E or something along that lines it would be just another clone. Never worth the money paid for it. I'm sure all the Yosh team bikes are gone. That just leaves me this option. It's not a done deal. The bike is apart and most of the pieces are powdercoated and redone with the exception of the bodywork.

I've always wanted a F1 or GP Replica. I've just needed the right incentive to build one...

Thanks for the input.

Richard

My question to you Richard, is why oh why you'd want to sell your ELR, clearly in 'that' group of "must have" Japanese classics we all know about? A big Suzuki 1000S is certainly in that group as well, but less known, and as a result perhaps a bit less sought after by those who would desire it. Prices I've observed for both of these bikes show that they are close, but an ELR would probably cost more these days, simply because Eddie Lawson went further in the game than Wes Cooley. I have noticed there seem to be way more fake 1000S's out there than real ones, kind of like the fact there's more red framed V7Sport's out there than were ever built by Guzzi. Is there a serial numbers series which indicates one of these is the real thing?

Steve

My question to you Richard, is why oh why you'd want to sell your ELR, clearly in 'that' group of "must have" Japanese classics we all know about? A big Suzuki 1000S is certainly in that group as well, but less known, and as a result perhaps a bit less sought after by those who would desire it. Prices I've observed for both of these bikes show that they are close, but an ELR would probably cost more these days, simply because Eddie Lawson went further in the game than Wes Cooley. I have noticed there seem to be way more fake 1000S's out there than real ones, kind of like the fact there's more red framed V7Sport's out there than were ever built by Guzzi. Is there a serial numbers series which indicates one of these is the real thing?

Steve

Hmmm? Good question on the serial #. I know the real ones were released with the 18" Wheel and the model specific gauges. I'll look into it.

I sold my ELR Last July. Went to a collector in Ohio. I got more than what the market was offering at the time... I took the money. Divorce and stress will do that. Yes, I'm kicking myself..... I have another frame and engine for another ELR. I bought it for cheap, but have years of work ahead of me. I wanted to get on the 1000S since I've had it for so long. I owned one back in the 80's and sold it before I knew what I had. As you see, I'm bad about that.

My reservation is the gauge bezel. It's the one thing that eludes me. I have 2 of them but neither is worthy. I guess I like the idea of having a F1 bike, but don't want to destroy a real "S" doing so. However, I thought building an F1 out of the "S" would be really cool too.

I'll keep pulling my hair out. I think Tom and Yourself have talked sense into me... I'll just find a battered 1000E and cut it up..... :D

Richard Z.

Don't forget to reinforce the frame while you have it all apart; Jap bikes of that era were a handful because they had more power than their willowy frames could handle! Kawasaki almost solved the problem w/ their "Big Tube" formula frame, but then stepped away from it & continued campaigning the same narrow tube frames they'd been losing with despite all of Gary Nixon's talent.

A little steel sheet & a MIG welder will do wonders... ;)

Don't forget to reinforce the frame while you have it all apart; Jap bikes of that era were a handful because they had more power than their willowy frames could handle! Kawasaki almost solved the problem w/ their "Big Tube" formula frame, but then stepped away from it & continued campaigning the same narrow tube frames they'd been losing with despite all of Gary Nixon's talent.

A little steel sheet & a MIG welder will do wonders... ;)

Thank You for the tip...... If I do end up doing the F1 It'll have the monoshock swingarm. I'll have to fab something for sure... The frame is already blasted and has been welded. I've already added gussets to a couple of locations and check areas for cracks. I'm waiting to finish depending on what I decide to do....

Thanks everyone for the ideas and comments.

I'll keep ya posted on the build.

Richard Z.

Hmmm? Good question on the serial #. I know the real ones were released with the 18" Wheel and the model specific gauges. I'll look into it.

I sold my ELR Last July. Went to a collector in Ohio. I got more than what the market was offering at the time... I took the money. Divorce and stress will do that. Yes, I'm kicking myself..... I have another frame and engine for another ELR. I bought it for cheap, but have years of work ahead of me. I wanted to get on the 1000S since I've had it for so long. I owned one back in the 80's and sold it before I knew what I had. As you see, I'm bad about that.

My reservation is the gauge bezel. It's the one thing that eludes me. I have 2 of them but neither is worthy. I guess I like the idea of having a F1 bike, but don't want to destroy a real "S" doing so. However, I thought building an F1 out of the "S" would be really cool too.

I'll keep pulling my hair out. I think Tom and Yourself have talked sense into me... I'll just find a battered 1000E and cut it up..... :D

Richard Z.

Yup, I'd go for a 1000E as a donor. They can still be had cheap.

Steve

I am not sure if you enjoyed riding the Wes Cooley special or having one to ride. I suggest putting the one you have together and riding it and seeing if enjoy the ride even with it's imperfect finish. I don't think cutting up a special edition makes sense though. After all they are not making any more if them, and one less makes the others worth more, not yours. :oldgit: Joe

i think your confused ..it's av11 site!!!

Let me help with some proper spelling and Grammar. your = you're.

Wow, It's folk's like yourself I'm GLAD I sold My WW RG....

The post was asking for real input about the Wes Cooley Replica. Not your 500. If you have some input about the "S" I'd enjoy hearing it. Otherwise, Go troll someone else's topic.

I was specific in my post, that there wasn't any V11 references to be found in it, nor any RG500. I can only assume your input was clearly out of getting your post count up and to further your ego... Good Luck with that, Mr Troll....